Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever cut their butts.....

Options
In half? I have 4 butts I am cooking up tomorrow. I am a big fan of bark. As a lot of us are. I faintly remember a post but can't find it, about splitting pork butts to acquire more bark in the cook. Anyone done it? Pros (I think I already mentioned that) and cons. Do you split it lengthwise or width?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    If they are already boneless then sure, why not! But if the bone is there how are you going to cut it. Unless removing the bone first and then you're back to square one!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I prefer to do boneless. I should have put that caveat in the post.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Another benefit, depending on time is cook duration. Cook will only be as long as the largest contiguous piece. So if 1.5-2hrs per lb it is not total weight but weight of largest piece.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Man I clicked thinking is see some hilarious mishaps....

above are good points though.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Another benefit, depending on time is cook duration. Cook will only be as long as the largest contiguous piece. So if 1.5-2hrs per lb it is not total weight but weight of largest piece.

Not necessarily. I once bought two 5 lb butts and cut one in half as an experiment. Put all three on the same egg at the same time. The two small ones took just as long as the 5 pounder.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I butterfly them in half lengthwise to make them thinner. Adds a LOT more bark, cooks faster and all adds more flavor. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    They were on sale, about half the price at Publix. They were in a package of 2-total about 20 pounds. There are only two of us to eat. Each became a bone in and a boneless. The last one will become Carnitas tomorrow night.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Not necessarily. I once bought two 5 lb butts and cut one in half as an experiment. Put all three on the same egg at the same time. The two small ones took just as long as the 5 pounder.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  That answers a suspicion I had.  To properly render the fat and connective tissue in the shoulder/butt it takes a minimum amount of time at temp.  I suspect that time is similar to the time it takes to properly smoke a 5lb shoulder.

If you cook any shoulders larger than 5lbs then you should be able to cut them into 5lb portions to reduce the time.  Cutting shoulders into smaller pieces then that removes the time benefit from the equation.

I have never done any shoulders smaller than 6lbs.  To me that seems more like a large pork steak at that point :)

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.  Now I no longer have to wonder about min size!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dont cut it in half, just splay it open with the bone cut side on top. the bone/inside has more nooks and crannies for rub, vinegar sauce etc, it will actually pool up with flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ozzie, keep in mind that I said I ONCE bought....... Butts often seem to have minds of their own. Might happen that way next time, but it might not. Was just a heads up.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NoJokeSmoke
    Options
    I usually cut them in half for the same reason. More bark = more flavor.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I cut mine in half, sometimes thirds, depending on size.  I can get 2-3 cooks out of 1 butt if its just the 3 of us eating. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG