Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Warranty

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
There have been several threads lately on warranty issues with our eggs.  I've grabbed the best practices from several posts and compiled them into one post. Does the following make sense?  Others can chime in if I'm off base.

This is from BGE's warranty statement:

12. SHIPPING AND DELIVERY: BGE is not liable for shipping, delivery charges, labor, packaging costs, export/import duties, VAT or any levied taxes resulting from any Warranty claim, service, repair or return, unless authorized in advance in writing by BGE.

Even though it is irritating, you are asking for a favor to have your shipping covered.  All good dealers will order parts in their normal order of eggs, and thus, you're not charged shipping.  Really good dealers will take the parts out of inventory and make you happy on the spot ... be sure to show your appreciation to those folks ... they're special.

When your dealer doesn't fall on the good side of the equation, you should go higher in the chain of command.  Give your rep a chance to help you out.  He's the one responsible for the dealer, so a complaint to BGE will probably come back to him and reflect poorly on his choices.  You want him in your corner, so allow him an opportunity to help you.  He might have the part(s) on hand or can add your parts to another dealer order in his area.  He has lots of discretion ... and will use it to your advantage if treated with respect.  He might send you to his favorite "great" dealer and you'll be set for life.

If the district rep doesn't make you happy, then a phone call to Bruce at BGE will take care of business.  If the customer is reasonable, it is in BGE's best interest to make you happy ... and they will, as many members of the forum have stated.

@SGH can chime in here.  There is no way to insure a fault free egg is delivered every time.  NDI inspections would be prohibitively expensive and only weed out a few defects.  Heat cycling the eggs before shipping sounds great, but is also too expensive ... plus, some eggs don't fail for years.  If BGE did six heat cycles, yours and mine would be the damn egg that fails on the seventh cycle.

Our egg has a high probability of failure in its lifetime.  Some will fail early, some late, and a few will never fail.  But, we've purchased one, if not the best, kamado grill available and the manufacture has promised to take care of problems.  Hard to ask for more ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You are correct brother. Non Dedestructive examination increases cost dramatically. The ceramic cookers are expensive enough already. However BGE seems to be real good about replacing things. I had a plate setter break after about 2 months of use. They replaced it no questions asked. Pretty good I thought.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.