Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Causes Home Fire In The New Orleans Area

Options
We Eggheads know that 'fire' is a very good thing, but only when it is controlled.

My Brother-in-Law sent this story to us and now I'm sharing it with you guys as just one more reminder that even Eggheads sometime forget just how important it is to keep a close eye on their Egg when it is in use. It only takes less than a second to go from controlled to uncontrolled.

Also, buy a good extinguisher and keep it handy.

Spring "Recipe Number 1 - Safety" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/01/cooking_to_blame_in_pair_of_ke.html#incart_story_packa ge

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I hope you and all Eggheads down there are safe.
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Not Good!! I feel sorry for these families I can't imagine a house fire. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    How did the heat off of a bge ignite a roof?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Been there, done that...We will be back in our home in 2 weeks, 7 months after our egg fire.

Hope both families are ok and the recovery goes smoothly.   
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a terrible thing to happen. From the news website it sounds like nobody was hurt. I don't think that's nola's hood either.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Been there, done that...We will be back in our home in 2 weeks, 7 months after our egg fire.

Hope both families are ok and the recovery goes smoothly.   

whoa! How did I miss this? Glad to hear you guys are ok. I was super close last year as well. Table burned down but we had composite decking that melted but didn't catch fire.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    Hmm. I have a completely closed in deck with carpet on the floor. My Egg is in a stainless steel table and I am real carefull.... I did slightly melt my vinyl siding with a radiant heater the other day doing wings though. It was about three feet away but I had it turned up a bit too far. Egging in Canada in January.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • ummgood
    ummgood Posts: 120
    Options
    I have to say this scares the crap out of me. I have my egg and Weber on a wood deck. My lot is very sloped and my foundation is 16 feet tall on one side of the house with the deck. I really don't have a good level surface besides my deck to grill/smoke on. I have my egg in a nest. I am guessing lots of grease build up probably is a problem. How often do people clean their eggs?
    Austin, TX
    BGE-Large, Weber EP-330
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    We Eggheads know that 'fire' is a very good thing, but only when it is controlled.

My Brother-in-Law sent this story to us and now I'm sharing it with you guys as just one more reminder that even Eggheads sometime forget just how important it is to keep a close eye on their Egg when it is in use. It only takes less than a second to go from controlled to uncontrolled.

Also, buy a good extinguisher and keep it handy.

Spring "Recipe Number 1 - Safety" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/01/cooking_to_blame_in_pair_of_ke.html#incart_story_packa ge

I would recommend buying more than 1.  the time it can take for you to go get a fire extinguisher at the far end of the house can make things significantly worse by the time you get back.  I keep a fire extinguisher very near my kitchen, one in the laundry room, one in the garage, and one outside with the BBQ. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Spring Chicken
    Options

Zmoking, we have them all around the house too, but they are the small ones.  As they run out of the 'Green' and into the 'Red' I change them to a much larger and better extinguishers.  The last one was for my outdoor kitchen, and hangs on the wall by the door.  There's also a handy garden hose within six feet and a second one about twelve feet away.  Two more garden hoses on separate water lines are within fifty feet with plenty of hose to reach the fire.  As an extra precaution, I have a phone in the outdoor kitchen that is easy to reach.  I also keep a frig full of beer and soft drinks to keep me hydrated, both when I'm cooking and if and when there's a fire..  I do this because my outdoor kitchen, affectionately known as The Chicken Coop, is about 95% wood.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    henapple said:

I would guess it was a lean-to with maybe a low overhang or vinyl. That is sheer guess though.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

Zmoking, we have them all around the house too, but they are the small ones.  As they run out of the 'Green' and into the 'Red' I change them to a much larger and better extinguishers.  The last one was for my outdoor kitchen, and hangs on the wall by the door.  There's also a handy garden hose within six feet and a second one about twelve feet away.  Two more garden hoses on separate water lines are within fifty feet with plenty of hose to reach the fire...

Good thread, thanks for sharing.  I need to buy more extinguishers so this is a good reminder.

I was on a chartered sailboat recently and when the captain was giving us a safety briefing there was an educational bit on the extinguishers.  He had the same small ones in the cabins that we do in the kitchen.  His point was that those extinguishers are not designed to put out a large fire, they can just beat it down enough for you to get past it to safety.  So don't try to fight it if you are backed into a corner (or a boat cabin).  Use it to get out.  It will run out quickly.

I know they can put out small kitchen fires and such, but I'm guessing would not do much if your egg and deck or siding catches on fire.   Need to have that hose or other extinguishers nearby.  Or bigger ones. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    +++ on having the small extinguishers handy. It was nearly a year ago that I discovered a working fire inside my freezer side in our kitchen refrigerator. It was right before we were headed to bed. Turned out the ice maker cube dumper caught on fire. After much hassle GE replaced the whole refrig even though it was 5 years out of warranty! Fires are NOT supposed to happen like that an GE knew it! Just the same we were very lucky and I'm not sure where we would be today had I not caught it and hit it with a nearby extinguisher!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Tjcoley said:
    I don't know who that is.   Sad story.  I hope the egg was still OK and I'm glad no one was hurt.

Options
    henapple said:

Beats me man...image

Or worse...image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2015
    Options

Tjcoley said:
    I don't know who that is.   Sad story.  I hope the egg was still OK and I'm glad no one was hurt.

I notice that you mention the safety of the Egg #:-S

before you express concern for the humans involved.

That makes sense 'cause Eggs don't start fires.  People do.

B-)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Be safe everyone, I have had sparks fly into my garage with my egg 10 ft away from my garage door
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Sardonicus - Very observant.  I am a misanthrope and an egg-o-phile.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Sardonicus - Very observant.  I am a misanthrope . . .

Understood, @NOLAEggHead.
     \m/ To know us is to hate us.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns