Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

apple firewood

Options
I recently got some apple wood, it was cut about 6 months ago. Can I chop that up for chips in the egg? Why buy in the store when it is sitting in wood rack....
Thanks for your help!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    If it's been stored well and is dried out sufficiently, it should be fine IMHO. But, I'm no expert. I'm sure others will chime in.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options

SueinNC said:
    Can I chop that up for chips in the egg?
    You absolutely can use it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Just watch the cut ends if a chain saw was used. Bar oil may effect the taste.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Just watch the cut ends if a chain saw was used. Bar oil may effect the taste.
    I use a cheap electric chainsaw with no oil in it. (for cooking wood only.)

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I heard of somebody using an electric chainsaw and substituting the bar oil for veg oil. The saw is used to cut wood for smoking only. Maybe I read it. I don't remember.
    Flint, Michigan
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    I use my chain saw to cut in to manageable size peices then cut smaller with a miter saw

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I use my chain saw to cut in to manageable size peices then cut smaller with a miter saw

use extreme caution when cutting odd shapes on miter saw for smoke wood. Don't ask me how I know....
  • Randall_Lee
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

use extreme caution when cutting odd shapes on miter saw for smoke wood. Don't ask me how I know....
    X's2 you would be amazed at fast a chuck of wood can fly past your head from kick back or so i'm told.
    Niceville, Fl
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with using a recip saw for cutting smoke wood? No bar oil, no high speed blade, and low moving mass ... should be safe.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Does anyone have experience with using a recip saw for cutting smoke wood? No bar oil, no high speed blade, and low moving mass ... should be safe.

If you use a rough cut blade it works like a charm.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @SGH ... Thanks!

Found out my son was using my chop saw to cut smoke wood. Using a fine toothed carbide blade.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max