Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax Cook

Options
FATC1TY
FATC1TY Posts: 888
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got my MM on Friday, have already cooked 3 meals on it. Nice little grill so far. Need to order a High Q for it, I think that'll help some, as I love it in my large. Got a woo on the way, but honestly, the grid is pretty even with the gasket, so thats a nice plus.. The SS grid sucks, moves around in the grill a bit, so I'm hunting down some CI options as I love using the CI in my large as well. The platesetter is a cute little thing, but doesn't leave a ton of room around the edges, curious how the heat will work, but so far, no issues. That said- thought I had more lump sitting around, but didn't. Had some ribs to cook for dinner tonight, so I scooped what I had in the large, and what was left in the minimax, and added some fresh, along with a small chunk of post oak, and apple from fruita wood, and decided to make the ribs fit. Cut a whole slab in half and they fit just perfect in the minimax without overlapping or hanging off. Almost 4# total of ribs. Cookin away.. photo 000F4BF4-4ED3-40D3-802F-D2DC0B5480AA_zpsc9we68xo.jpg Pretty impressed so far- will be a great grill for cooking for my little family of 4, instead of firing the large up all the time, and will great to leave it at the NC mtn house during the summers so I can smoke and grill and not use my barrel style side box smoker/grill up there as much.
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are sick of the grate order the KJ junior grate. Its a half inch bigger so it fits almost perfect plus it has the flap that opens so you can add wood mid cook.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Neat idea, @Lot; where would you order one?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Lit
    Options
    @jaydub58‌ I went on the KJ website and found a local ace and called them for pricing. They said they would have to order it but it was $38. My MM grate is in my spare parts box I swap the KJ one back and forth now.
  • Lit
    Options
    Also the KJ heat deflector fits perfect and comes with the stone and it was also like $40. Its alot like the CGS woo. I posted pics of the KJ deflector and grate in the MM a month or so ago.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Interesting, I'll have to see if anyone sell KJ locally. My BGE dealer did, but got a nasty letter from BGE about them selling KJ in the same store, so they had to sell all the KJ off for a cheaper price, so as to not lose the ability to sell BGE I guess. WIll have to look for extras for this MM, via the KJ stuff. Also- I have a BBQ guru... don't I just need a plate for the draft door to make it work on the MM?
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Got my High Q for free on Amazon. It ask if I would like a $40 credit by taking the card and I said yes. My High Q was free and will cut up the card when it arrives. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Just got mine yesterday. Can't wait to Fire it up. The MM seemed a little slow to get to sear temp.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @Lit, thanks for the info.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    Just got mine yesterday. Can't wait to Fire it up. The MM seemed a little slow to get to sear temp.

I thought so as well, although being the first couple of cooks, I went easy on it. However, I was keeping the firebox under filled, it's a bit wide and very shallow, so easy to do.
    I think it has to do with the fire box grate, IMO. I'm used to the high q on my large.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Nice grill.  I saw one for the first time a few days ago.  They told me it was the same size as a small.  Wha tis the advantage of the MM over a small?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Nice grill.  I saw one for the first time a few days ago.  They told me it was the same size as a small.  Wha tis the advantage of the MM over a small?

I would guess, portability? I dont know.. I know it's smaller than the small, so it's similar in size of the mini, but the cooking space of the small. It's a short, stubby little guy.
    I don't know how portable it would be. It's slightly heavy and a bit awkward to carry alone, but easily done. I wouldn't want to carry it more than 50 yards myself. However, it's nice to use just a couple fist fulls of lump, and cook dinner faster, as well as something I can pack in our truck and take to our other summer get away and leave there for a couple months.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

Enjoy!

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    photo 97EFF0B4-DE75-4B6A-B462-F4A7FAF273B4_zpsjbgvmopz.jpg Not bad for letting it ride at 250-260. Pretty stable little grill. I normall use a guru if I'm cooking for more than a couple hours, as I've got little time to babysit. Impressive.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tbst
    tbst Posts: 43
    Options
    Did a 8# butt today for 7 hours @300°F. Had over half the lump left and dead on temperature the whole time. Pretty impressive. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Even with the factory grate, PS legs up or down and factory grid temp control hasn't been an issue on mine. Going to the High Q (why?). Do you find it difficult getting to high temps quickly? Maybe I'm missing something here. Now the WOO from CGS makes perfect sense to me because of its versatility etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Getting to sear temps took too long for me. I have a HiQue on my MBGE though. I guess I'll see when I get another cook in.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    I haven't gotten up to searing temp.. Maybe Tuesday, I've got a nice porterhouse on the lineup. I'm just used to the high q, and the temp getting up real fast. The MM is quick though, so no real complaint. Held low and slow really well though. I do think for long cooks, the woo is a must to get the food as far away from the fire, even with a platesetter on it, it gets pretty hot at the platesetter with lump near it. I did a 5-6 hour cook on the ribs, and had a TON of lump left after cooking at 250-275 the whole time. Some of it wasnt even lit it appears.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • tbst
    tbst Posts: 43
    Options
    Even with the factory grate, PS legs up or down and factory grid temp control hasn't been an issue on mine. Going to the High Q (why?). Do you find it difficult getting to high temps quickly? Maybe I'm missing something here. Now the WOO from CGS makes perfect sense to me because of its versatility etc.
    I see the high Q grate being much more useful on the large than the MM after having both. The MM can easily be stirred if need be. The large, not so much with a full load of lump. Hopefully RW alleviates the need for having a fire extinguisher outside AND having temp control issues on the large.