Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jack Daniels pulled pork (pics)

Options

I got this recipe from my boss's boss at work, and with a strong recommendation I decided to try it.  I started with a 10 lb butt, soaked it in a marinate for at least 12 hours, I think mine was closer to 18.  Marinade was ketchup, white vinegar, brown sugar, onion and garlic powders, soy and Worcestershire, molasses and whiskey.  The recipe called for single barrel, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something I wasn't going to drink straight up, so I settled for the old #7 Jack Daniels.  Well the shoulder rested in that overnight, then yesterday afternoon, I injected most of the marinate into the pork while the Egg was getting up to temp.  The butt held the injection pretty well, and I was growing more and more excited about this stuff.

The Egg was ready at 250 grill temp, so I threw in 2 hickory and 3 cherry chunks, the PS and raised grid configuration, and then I placed the butt.  Closed the lid and went to a Hanukkah service where I silently took pity on the kosher folks, whilst thinking about my delicious pork butt slow cooking back home.  Went to bed anxious as a kid on Christmas Eve, knowing something good was waiting for me when I woke up. 

I arose this morning, earlier than expected but filled with anticipation.  I checked my temps, Egg was steady at 250-ish, and the meat was 195.  Holy cow, need to start checking the bone for release!  So I went downstairs, made some coffee, started the dough in the bread machine for the buns, and checked on the butt.  The bone was still solid, so I moved the probe to a different segment of my butt, and it read 192.  So I had some time, which was a big relief.  Made waffles for breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, checked the meat, bone was still solid, no problem.  Dough was ready, so I shaped my hamburger buns on the baking sheet, placed them in the lower oven to let them rise.  Checked on the meat, IT was 196 and the bone was wiggly, so I pulled it.  10 lbs for 17 hours at 250, sounds good to me.  FTC time until grandma arrives.

Pulled this sucker out of the cooler, pulled it with bear claws, and wow.  The texture was terrific, very tender, very moist.  The flavor... the aroma... it was strong, very tasty, very flavorful.  This stuff makes for a terrific pulled pork sammich.  Everyone was happy, including this guy.  One of my better cooks.

Comments