Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Midnight Blackberry Cobbler (pic heavy)

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited December 2014 in Desserts
The LBGE seemed a little chilly tonight and I was craving cobbler. Here's some pics.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• looks great 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    That looks fantastic!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Oh my. I'd like some for breakfast
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• stemc33
    Thanks @duck_hunter‌ and @jcaspary‌. I got some left if you stop by @grege345‌. Here's the plated shots.

imageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Wow!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wow! I would destroy that cobbler! Nice cook
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Damn! Looks awesome!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Another Fantastic post....Looks awesome, love the plated shot.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Hell yeah! Now go get some sleep!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stemc33
    Will do @Jeremiah‌. I'm a day sleeper and must say, it's pretty cool eggin' in the still of the night when all is calm. Last night was a perfect nite to egg with a temp of 12° and zero wind, I mean no wind. Nice crisp air with the smell of the cobbler spewing out of the egg. The only thing better was the reward of eating it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    That does sound calming. Sometimes I wish I was a day sleeper.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    nailed that Stem!
  • That looks very good. Great pics. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm really glad you're here on the forum. We used to have to wait until lunch at the earliest for fresh food pr0n.

Like @greg345 said, I could use some of that with my coffee.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • That looks awesome and your pictures are great nice job. Did you cook it with the top off for the whole cook ?
    Valley City, Ohio
  • stemc33
    Thanks guys.

@VC_Outlaw‌, I did cook it with the DFMT off. When I egg desserts, I usually go without the top to clear as much smoke as possible. Smoke really hasn't been a problem though since I switched to Ozark Oak. The only time I have smoke issues is when I have left over smoke wood from a previous cook. As you can see from the graph, the temp started to get away from me. After I put the cobbler on (big spike drop), the temp started climbing again. I shut the bottom vent a little more and it stayed at 380°ish for the rest of the cook. Wanted 350° but wasn't worried about to extra 30°.

If you overshoot your temp and catch it early before the ceramic heats up, you can bring the temp down pretty easy. Gets tough if you let the ceramic heat up.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    is this recipe a secret?  how many points will I need to get it?
  • Thanks for the detailed explanation. The information is great. My question was not clear! I was curious about weather you covered your Dutch oven during all, part, or none of the cook. Thanks
    Valley City, Ohio
  • Those plated pic are making me slobber.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Dagblastit! Awesome looking cobbler my friend \m/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • That plated pic made my stomach growl!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    for the love of all that is holy and delicious... that looks incredible!  nice work stem
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    stemc33 is dead. Long live stemc33!

Looks like he went into Fine vFib after that last QRS complex on the ECG he posted. That's a non-survivable rhythm.

Cobbler looks good too.
    :D
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Yum!
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • stemc33
    edited December 2014

stemc33 is dead. Long live stemc33!

Looks like he went into Fine vFib after that last QRS complex on the ECG he posted. That's a non-survivable rhythm.

Cobbler looks good too.
    :D

@Eggcelsior‌, That's funny, but it's not. That's what a 6sec strip of my HR looks like when I sleep. I Brady down into the 30's and have 4-6 sec pauses. During a hospitalization a few years ago the VA flew me to Denver to get a pace maker. When I got to the ICU in Denver, I told them that Sheridan was overreacting. The nurse kinda laughed and agreed

It wasn't long after I fell asleep, they hooked up the oxygen. Fell back asleep and they woke me up to attach the pacer pads. Then they left the box of atropine at the bedside.

Several doctors came and talked to me about a pacemaker. As they were getting everything ready for me, some high tech electrophysiologist cardiologist came and told me that all is good. He said there's probably a bunch of people doing the same thing and they just happened to catch it because I was in the hospital. He didn't seem too bothered by it.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Damn buddy! I was just being silly because your temp graph looks just like a QRS complex. Thought it be nerdy to recall my EKG read skills from my ICU days. Sorry to hit so close to home. Glad you're doing well!
  • stemc33
    @Eggcelsior‌, no worries it's all good. Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about until I remembered the graph.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    edited December 2014
    @VC_Outlaw‌, it was just cooked in an open cast iron skillet. According to the graph, it was in the egg 45min. The center was just a tad goopy. Of course, I wasn't going to post those pics. Lol. The recipe had no eggs or anything so it was all good. I thought the crust was going to burn, so I pulled it. The crust was just fine and I could've left it on longer. Next time, I'll just melt the butter in the microwave. I melted it in the CI so when I poured the batter in the pan, the CI was heated and the outside crust area had a head start.

I know this was probably way too much information, but I like looking back at my postings before doing repeat cooks so I'm not repeating the same mistake. Basically I use the forum as a personal log also hope my posts help others. I also enjoy getting feedback to improve my skills. The forum is so positive though that sometimes a guy doesn't get the feedback he's looking for or needs.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Legume said:
    is this recipe a secret?  how many points will I need to get it?

It's top secret, for every 1,000 points you earn, I'll give you an ingredient.

Never mind, I'll just give it to you now. My plans to open the greatest blackberry cobbler shop in Wyoming don't look like they're going to happen anytime soon anyways.

I started with the recipe from this link.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/the_great_cobbl/
    I added in some cinnamon and nutmeg. I didn't have any self-rising flour so I just used all-purpose flour, some baking powder and salt. Measurements were not exact. I just kept adding stuff until I got the taste and consistency I wanted. No secrets, but I can't tell you exact specifics because I don't know. Just keep tasting until you find what you like and get the consistency a little thicker than cake batter. The berries are going to add juice.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    That's perfect, thanks. I don't have a scale anyway :))