Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Brisket Attempt

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
I did my first brisket about six months ago and it turned out great for a first attempt. This morning, I bought a 16 pound packer to cook overnight for tomorrow. I'm iffy about the trimming. Thought some of you could take a look at what I've done and see how it looks prior to throwing it on the egg. Some say to separate the point from the flat, others say to cook it all as one piece. Not sure which is better. Don't plan on making burnt ends, if that matters. Also, if it weighs around 14 pounds after trimming, how much time would you allow to make sure it is done by noon tomorrow? Plan to cook around 250 dome temp.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I say cook it all in one piece, you only have to trim off the "hard" fat, the rest of it will render. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I am doing my second one tonight too. Interested to see the responses to the trimming and everything else from the pros on here. Please update the thread, I'll def. be following. Hope it turns out great.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options

No pro here but have wrestled with many briskets.  That said, check out the Aaron Franklin you tube video series on trimming and cooking/slicing the brisket.  Great aids.  A real key to brisket success is the grade of the brisket.   Can't tell from the pics but the better the grade the more chance you have of a home-run.

Don't know the size of your BGE but I find on a LBGE that for brisket in your weight range I initially drape it over a fire brick so that none is overhanging the platesetter.  Shrinkage will eventually enable you to remove the brick.  I run fat side down with the point to the back.  And regarding the point, don't separate.  It has a much higher fat content than the flat so when the brisket is finished ( probes like buttah in the thickest part of the flat is the finish indicator) the point will be around 10-15 *F or so hotter.  No worries-it's just along for the ride.

Regarding cook time-that's a crap-shoot.  With 250*F on the calibrated dome I would plan for somewhere around 75-90 mins/lb.  It could push the outer time estimate or be finished early-all based on the feel as mentioned above.  You can FTC if finished early and better that than stressing to get it cooked.  And I am in the "no burnt ends club".  Point is the best part.  FWIW and YMMV.  Enjoy the cook.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    Leave It Whole.......Depending on the grade has a lot to do with time- Prime Fastest Select then choice, I always settle in around 275 on the dome and mine that size come in around 10-12 hours ( I usually do Prime ) Start early and it will hold in the cooler for hours........I'd start @ 10, gives me plenty of room and if behind, you can always bump the temp........There are for more experienced than me, but this works for me
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks like a damn fine trim job. In retrospect, I will trim mine more in the future, don't get me wrong , I love the fat, I left too much on last cook I did. Good luck, will check in for the $$$ shots!

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "