Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - take nothing for granted

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035
My best friend for the last 15 years committed suicide this afternoon. I had no clue he was in that bad a place, some friend I am.

Please hug those closest to you, tomorrow is truly a gift, not an entitlement
XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• NervousDad
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Aurora,OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Man I'm so sorry to hear this. And your absolutely right.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am so sorry @TTC. I know you feel guilty, but please don't be too hard on yourself. 

You stated you didn't know. I am sure you would have helped him if you had known he needed it. 

Once again I am so sorry for your loss. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Sorry man, this worlds not easy sometimes.
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I lost a good friend about four years ago to suicide. He took his own life in a very public and brutal way. Many of his closest friends had no idea he was that sick. We all wondered why he didn't at least pick up the phone. The thing is, picking up the phone and talking to a friend is a rational thing to do when you're feeling down. People in that state just aren't processing things rationally. It's a tough realization to accept but I firmly believe that to be the case. In any case, terribly sorry for your loss.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TTC
    Options

Thanks all. I know that the brain is a crazy thing, and expecting rational behavior from someone that ill is silly.

It is just that the shock has worn off and the pain is setting in.

Thank you all for your words and thoughts.

Ikon pass 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It's important to not blame yourself. Depression is something many suffer from in complete silence. Be there for him now by being there for his family. Also don't forget that every area has county/state mental health counselors that specialize in grief. Sometimes taking to a stranger helps much more than family and friends because your/they're not having to keep up the walls. My condolences for your loss.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm sorry about your friend. Avail yourself to those grief counsellors. It made all the difference to my daughter and me when my first wife succumbed to cancer.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Man- I know that's got to be hard. Prayers go out to you, his family and friends as they struggle through this incomprehensible situation. Mental illness is still the elephant in the room for the US- it's well past time we stop ignoring the problems.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, I've known too many that have made that choice.
    Unfortunately, many people in that state of mind are very good at hiding it.
    Don't blame yourself for not seeing it.  It's not your fault.  And even if you knew, and had tried making him see the error of his thoughts, he still may have made the same choice in the end.
    Grieve as you must, but don't blame yourself.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't be hard on yourself. The depths people's mind goes to when considering this is completely personal and quite hard to change. I've had two friends do it and no one had any idea.
  • TTC
    Options
    Again, thank you all. I appreciate your thoughts more than you will ever know. All I can do now is focus on supporting his wife and 3 kids

Ikon pass 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, keep your head up.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Continue to support the family, as they need you now more than ever. A friend committed suicide a few months ago, and none of us, friends or family, ever suspected or thought it was possible.
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Prayers for your friend, his family and yours.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. As others have said don't be so hard on yourself and continue to support the family. People in that condition are very good at hiding their emotions. They put on a good face in public but when they are alone the demons come out and it is very hard to change. They feel that there is only one way to go.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH