Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder fiasco turns out perfect

Options
tridogdude
tridogdude Posts: 136
Wanted to cook a low & slow 4 lb pork shoulder that my wife picked up. Was planning around keeping temp at 250 but ended up running the egg up to hot on start-up (sidetracked) and had a hard time keeping temps during cook below 350. Anyway, was not worried as it was just me and her for Sunday dinner and had the Maverick on to monitor internal temp. Ended up pulling it off the LBGE just under 3 hours and an internal temp of 172. Wrapped it tight in foil and let set in our oven (turned off) for another hour. 

After pulling foil, the internal temp was 180 so started cutting. WOW, I thought this was going to turn out marginal at best but was some of the best pork shoulder we've had.

4 lb pork shoulder (fat trimmed)
Rubbed with fellow Egger "Richards Indian River seasoning salt" overnight.
Took out of fridge one hour before cook and wrapped with bacon then secured with twine.
3 hours indirect cook averaging about 350. Temperature swings between 300-385. Platesetter with legs up and Pork setting directly on grill. 

Here's the end result. Lots of flavors bouncing around with Richards seasoning and the bacon flavor was just, well you know, BACON!!
imageimageimage

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like turbo if you don't have the time. Looks good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I still need to try sliced with a shoulder, always do pulled.

Yours looks great!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @LadeBack69  - Had the time but temps got out of hand. Have been looking at some posts on Turbo and will give it a go this weekend. Any suggestions on what to do for first Turbo cook? Still getting the hang of this BGE gig. Getting hooked is more like it. Thanks

@DMW  - Been contemplating doing a pulled pork. Had tons of different pulled pork that was either purchased at restaurant or that friends cooked up and never really liked it. Maybe they're doing it wrong. I like moist pork and none of the pulled pork I had was close to moist. 
    Thanks for the comments. 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @tridogdude‌, I've done ribs and pulled pork in turbo method. I haven't tried turbo brisket yet. Ribs I do at around 275 to 300 for 2 hours for smoke, then foiled them with Parkay margarine, brown sugar, honey and just a little apple juice for about and hour. If you like them sauced, take them out of the foil and spread some sauce on and let the cook for about 30 minutes. They should be good and tender. On the pork butt, cook it at 300 to 350 to 160. At that temp you can wrap it in foil and add the same things as the ribs. If you don't like it that sweet, just do the apple juice and a little more rub. When it is at 195 to 205 and the bone will wiggle it done. Pull it and let it sit for about 30 minutes or so in the foil. Then pull it and use some of the drippings back into the pork to keep it moist. You can also not wrap tell the butt is at 200 and then let sit. Juice will acumlulate and it should be moist. The key to going L&S is to catch it on the way up. When it gets to 200, start dialing in the daisy wheel and bottom vent. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. Good job my friend. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tridogdude
    Options
    @SGH  Thanks man. Internal temp said pull it and that is almost always the deciding factor so fiasco diverted. 

@Ladeback69   Damn, thanks for taking the time writing this up. I will definitely give this a go. I really like what your using on the ribs with the honey, parkay and brown sugar. Going to try the pulled pork recipe as well so I can finally have some moist pork that you don't need to lay the sauce down on it just to eat.
    Your Royals are tearing it up out there in the post season. Good to see some not so familiar teams in the AL race. Red Sox fan here and we about stunk it up this year but their doing the right thing getting rid of some of that monstrous payroll. Good luck to KC in the series. They are playing some amazing "D. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @tridogdude: If I am reading you right, you DID do turbo pork butt. Unknowingly.
    Judy in San Diego
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @Judy Mayberry   LOL, yeah, I guess you're right. Now when I go to do it for real something else will go wrong.