Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killer Rub Ingredient

Options

In my never-ending pursuit for new BBQ ingredients, I may have stumbled onto a new weapon of flavor. This newest ingredient blend is simply whole peppercorns coarsely ground together with Starbuck’s dark Italian roast whole coffee beans.

This summer I received a manual coffee grinder as a gift, made here in the good old U.S.A. by the Red Roaster Trading Company, and have enjoyed the depth of flavors from steeping various grades of hand ground roasted coffee beans in a bath of hot water. After various experiments grinding whole beans from my local grocery, I dialed into the heavy coarse grade in brewing my morning indulgent of choice.

Over the last few years, I have been adding prepackaged finely ground pepper with a little regular prepackaged ground coffee to my BBQ rub mixes with good results. One recent Saturday morning while mixing up a custom batch of rub for a BBQ cook I was out of regular ground coffee so I ground some whole beans I found in my kitchen together with the peppercorns on a heavy coarse grind setting. The resulting blend had a look and feel similar to crushed black pepper with but with a sweet balance of aromatics from the Italian roast coffee.
Lawrence 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Sounds good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds like you have discovered the first step of making a coffee rub...
    Mickey's rub is great and I usually buzz all the ingredients in a coffee grinder. I used our Krups on the coarse setting once, but it was a **** to clean. Now the Mr Coffee does the trick. 
    What ratio of beans to corns did you figure you had for your two ingredient rub?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Interesting.  Noticed the font change too.  Coffee and pepper are go-to for me.
    What ratio of beans to corns did you figure you had for your two ingredient rub?
    I am used 1 table spoon of coffee beans to 3 table spoons of pepper corns in a batch of rub that makes about 1 and 1/3 cups of rub.

Do you use more coffee in your mix?
    Lawrence