Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami - aluminum pressure cooker

Options
Does anyone know if using an aluminum pressure cooker would be too reactive for pastrami, or is the acidity of the corned been more or less neutralized after smoking?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Pastrami isn't very acidic.  It's just salty. Most cooked food is salted and the cookware is subsequently salty.  Unless you're Olive Garden, don't worry about the salinity of the food you're cooking versus the reactivity towards salt of the cookware.
    Options
    ok, so reactivity to salt, not acidity is what I need to worry about.  soooooo, is that a thumbs up for aluminum pressure cooker or thumbs down for pastrami?

I don't have a pressure cooker, but someone in the neighborhood is listing an aluminum one for cheap.  I really only want one for finishing pastrami.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ok, I met my ex-wife at Olive Garden, so that's why I'm being mean to them.  That only lasted a year and it was over 24 years ago.   That and they are complete idiots of a company.
    Options
    I've only been to an olive garden once, and only to a red lobster once.  the olive garden was to prove a point and I was just being polite going to the red lobster when I was invited.  neither serve pastrami, so I can't ask them about an aluminum pressure cooker, not that I would want their answer anyway.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Aluminum pressure cooker is a go for anything you want to eat cooked in it, except acidic foods, like stuff with vinegar. 

Fun times here:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/09/15/darden-response-on-olive-garden-is-missing-a-key-ingredient-salt/
    Agree with Nola, pressure cooking pastrami, not an issue that I can see. It's tomatoes and vinegar or lemon that if eaten daily might cause some concern. I use the aluminum cooker to do chicken and au jus from beef ribs, but when doing high acid sauces, they go into the SS cooker. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    ha - that's funny, not salting the water to get a better warranty.  sniff, sniff, smells like a dying company to me. 

I probably won't ask the neighbor about a warranty on the $15 pressure cooker, especially with all of the salty beef I'll be tossing in there.

thanks for the info.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i use mine to finish pastrami, mine didnt have a rack in the bottom so i pile in some spoons to get the pastrami out of the liquid
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I just did pastrami a few weeks ago with my egg and pressure cooker. Thirdeye has a great recipe for it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170729/corned-beef-brisket-pastrami
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota