Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't laugh at my unusually small brisket.

Options
This is what I get the pleasure of buying at my local grocery store, full packers are rare here in the San Francisco bay area, these little flats are what I'm dealing with, but I digress....

I have had good luck last few times times with this method, part Dr. BBQ, but with a simpler rub.

Rubbed brisket last night with Kosher salt, pepper, paprika, powdered garlic and sugar, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated overnight.

Started egg at 6:00 am, brought up to 250F and settled in with Royal oak lump and hickory chunks and chips.

Checked temp a couple of times, and at 12:00 noon it hit internal of 170, at that time I foil wrapped with 1 cup strong black coffee, tabasco sauce, and some powdered rub mixed together and poured into the foiled brisket before sealing and putting back on egg at 250 still for another hour, when it hit 204F , I pulled and FTC'd for an hour before slicing.

This was the moistest one yet with a strong but not overpowering smoke flavor, the bacon wrapped water chestnuts were kinda bland even though I soaked them in Worcestershire first, oh well.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Chicks dig small briskets. All good :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • travisstrick
    Options
    That looks damn good. Except for the $7.99 per lb.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chipman
    Options
    Go To lunardi's, tell them you want a whole packer. They'll fix you right up.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @chipman thanks man, totally forgot to check there, not one real close but I know there is one nearby in Berkeley or Oakland. Yeah the whole packer will be the next challenge.@travisstrick yes pricey here in planet California! @4Runner LMFAO!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @anton‌
    Excellent looking grub and phenomenal pics as well. Solid all around my friend. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looks really good, nicely done no matter the size of the meat, Only problem is very minimal leftovers if any...
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    That's around what I pay in the Boston area as well.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Most eggcellent-as one who has hosed more flats than I can count; very nicely done.  Great eats I'm sure.
    Funny about the pricing-flats are always $2-3 more/lb.  Takes more back end work to score just the flat but the goodness (point) ends up as burger meat.  Never have sorted that out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Nice! I gotta try to cool a brisket soon!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I think you did a great job.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If you can do that with a small flat you'll probably have no problem with a packer! You should be able to find a packer in town at Smart & Final. If you go there, look carefully at the labels as you may find a Choice grade mixed in with the Select for the same price/lb. Restaurant Depot is another local option (with CAB Choice & I've purchased Prime grade there) but you need to either have a business license or a day pass that you can get with a membership to the KCBS (KC BBQ Society - not the local radio station :) ).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q, never thought to try there either!! Being from a small family, I don't go to Costco , or smart & Final, because I don't buy a lot of bulk, thank you so much for the tip and great to see another Bay Egger!
    :-c