Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted / Broasted Potatoes?

Options
I've done lots of sliced, cubed potatoes, in foil on a gas grill  and usually with very  good results.  Has anyone tried them uncovered buttered, oiled, seasoned or whatever on the egg?  Am thinking they would be similar to broasted or roasted as done in a conventional oven.  Or, would they dry up?   Thanks in advance

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,683
    Options
    I've quartered red potatoes, tossed in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Grilled raised direct on the egg until tender. We like em a lot.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My new favorite way is to parcook small potatoes (either in a pot of boiling water or even easier steam them in the microwave). Then toss w oil, kosher salt, and grill direct, turning every few minutes, for 5-10 minutes. Paprika, garlic powder, rosemary are all good additions.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Slice baking potatoes about 3/4 inch thick. Lightly coat with EVOO S/P and maybe some garlic. Grill raised direct at around 400 turning frequently. If you are in a hurry, zap the for a few minutes before slicing.
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Hasselback potatoes in cast iron, 400 degrees indirect. Little slices of bacon and cheese, drizzled with EVOO, sprinkled with seasoning of your choice. Alternatively, potatoes, parboiled or not, sliced or cubed, 400 degrees in CI til they're a little crispy. Throw in some onion and peppers about halfway done.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hasselback/Hasselhoff Potatoes (called either name on the net)...  Call them whatever you want, the potato doesn't care and it doesn't change the taste any...
    We've tried them a number of different ways (there are a lot of variations out there, Google 'em).  Easy to do on an indirect grill and they consistently come out great.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    As all above and the Pioneer Woman's crashed taters are eggcelent. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    If you do the Hasselbacks, the wooden spoon trick for slicing is invaluable.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i like to roast them in the meat drippings

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/002-107.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • captjo
    Options
    Quarter, olive oil, Dizzy Pig Mediterraneanish and a little salt. 400* indirect for about 45 min or until golden and beautiful!
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not sure I've ever done these on the egg, but I'm sure they'd be fine. Sure are good in the oven! Cut red potatoes into bite size, unpeeled. Toss in CI skillet with evoo, s&p, chopped fresh rosemary and a handful of unpeeled garlic cloves. 30-35 minutes at 425 indirect. Awesome!! As I recall, basically the same as crash hots, just a different method.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stonedog03
    Options
    My family loves these:  1/4" slices of red potatoes, diced onion, diced garlic cloves (to taste), 4 or 5 slices of Bacon cut into 1" pieces, salt and pepper.  Take two sheets a aluminum foil, put just a little olive oil in the center mix above ingredients and pile up on foil.  Wrap foil around carefully to get best seal possible.  Grill indirect, 350~400 for 45~60 minutes.

Super tender with tons of flavor.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California