Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babyback finish temp question

Options
anton
anton Posts: 1,813
Could use some input on finish temp for babyback ribs, don't want to bend test,they are on rack, don't have toothpicks,lol. What temps work for you eggheads.
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I have never checked temp on ribs.  when they are tender to your liking they are done, IMO

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Around 200* +/- 5*.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    DMW said:
    Around 200* +/- 5*.

Yep.  I think pretty much 190 and up is OK, but they are pretty forgiving.
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Time to invest in toothpicks-cheaper than a thermo... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anton
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have never actually checked the temp of ribs myself. But I have always heard 195-205. It would stand to reason that this is correct considering the type of meat and connective tissue that is on a rack of ribs. I see many others have posted temps in line with this so I would say it's correct with certainty.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like a little chew, others like them falling off the bone. Either way the flavor will be great. Just splitting hairs at some point. With a few cooks you will Dial it in.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why not the easy way, bend test? image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BBQgreeneggman
    Options
    I've asked a lot of folks about temp vs bend. Everyone uses bend. I've read that the challenge with a temp probe on ribs is with the bone so close it will be different than the meat temp and that can negatively influence the actual meat temperature.
  • anton
    Options
    I ended up using thermapen as a probe and with the temp being in the 190's, and it sliding in with no resistance , that was my final decision to pull after 3-3/4 hrs at 250Fon vert rack, they turned out great for first rib cook, I posted results under the title" Babybacks finished well with clamcakes and sisters bread pudding". Pics included
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Personal preference is the toothpick test-can work the whole rack so there are no surprises when time to serve.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.