Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza and Korean

Options
Dinner 1: pizzas. Cheese for the kids. Prosciutto, tomato, basil for adults. Dinner 2 is marinating. English style short ribs in a Korean marinade. Will serve with sticky rice and sweet and sour beans.
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Pizza looks like a winner to me! Standing by for the short ribs!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Pizza looks good. Post the short ribs after cook.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm going to need some time and some luck! Pizzas cooked at 600, now have to wait for the egg to cool. Planning to put them on around 325 and cook indirect until tender - does that sound reasonable? Last pizza:
  • blind99
    Options
    Mixed results.  By the time the temp came down I was running short on time for the short ribs.  They stalled around 149 degrees, and I didn't have enough lump left to power them through.  So I foiled them and threw them on the gasser, and added more lump to the egg for the finish.  Glazed them with a soy/honey/mirin sauce and gave them a final sear.  They turned out very beefy, with good flavor. 

I used Rockwood this weekend for the first time.  I am far from an experienced egger but it burns really clean, with minimal ash, and it does not impart much smoky flavor by itself.  Liked it alot though it was $15 for a 10lb bag.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Can you share the brine you used on the short ribs? We're you happy with the flavors?
  • blind99
    Options
    Of course.  If you search "korean bbq marinade" it's the link from food network, modified.  I did:
    1 c soy sauce, 1/2 c water, 1/4 c mirin, black pepper, 2 cloves garlic, and 2 tbs brown sugar.  It can be diluted a bit more, with water, as needed.  I didn't save any for the final glaze, so I did about 1/2 c soy, 3tbs mirin, some honey, and a little hot water, and brushed that on before throwing them on direct at 450 to finish, for about 90 seconds.

I was happy with the flavor - the beef took the korean bbq flavor well, but they didn't turn out as tender as I hoped for.  Guess I'll have to try again!
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    The ribs looks wonderful.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    How did the beans turn out?  I've never done sweet and sour beans before.
    Dearborn MI
  • blind99
    Options
    Thanks @‌gogogordy1 @KenfromMI‌ they were good, nice crunchy/acidic contrast to the ribs. The recipe for the dressing was sautéed shallots, cider vinegar, a little sugar - found it on food and wine dot com.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I love Korean BBQ, chicken or steak (dakkochi). I've tried it using regular chili paste, which is good, but have found that the fermented Gochujang adds a broader dimension to both the marinade and the basting sauce.