Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The First Cook Has Started..

Options
Zarcon
Zarcon Posts: 540
Ok, so the time has come for me to break the Egg. The wife has put a huge challenge against me. I am to smoke:

1 whole chicken
1 large salmon
1 small tuna steak

This will be interesting. More pics coming soon. FWIW, regulating temp is a bish!!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,499
    Options
    If a fog-induced memory serves me right didn't you post about this cook (minus the tuna) and got some insights from @SGH a few days ago as prep work?  His suggestions will serve you well.  Good luck.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zarcon
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yes you are correct. Tuna was a late surprise to me. Just a stick in the spokes. I guess the wife is really testing my skills here..

Btw, I added a handful of hickory (not much) for a bit of smoke flavor.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I would not attempt to smoke the tuna-it is a prime candidate for a hot& fast sear.  Personal preference. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I would not attempt to smoke the tuna-it is a prime candidate for a hot& fast sear.  Personal preference. YMMV-

The wife offered to pan sear it so I don't have to crank the temp on the Egg, but I said.. 'oh no, you want it on the Egg... it's going on the Egg'..
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Btw, this is the first time I have taken notes while cooking.. 8-}
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Yummy!! Have to say.. pretty darn good
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Any time SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed-aka wife) is happy then life is good.  Congrats and enjoy many more most eggcellent cooks.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Awesome cook....nice and clean egg.......
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    Nice job bro.. it looks great
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Thank you. Wasn't much left. I will post all of my work a little later. Chilling with some beer and family now.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Chicken went for about 1 1/2 hours at 350. I dropped the temp to about 275 and the on the salmon. The salmon cooked for about 40 minutes. Added the tuna for 20 minutes.

The chicken stayed on the whole time. The chicken and salmon was eggcellent!!! The tuna was well done, which was fine by me but the wife prefers medium rare. Lesson learned. All in all, everything turned out wonderful. Chicken was extremely juicy.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Solid cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    You'll get used to temp regulation after a few cooks, it takes time to get a feel for the adjustments to the top and bottom for air flow. Looks like you're doing alright!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks like you jumped in the egg lake head first. Excellent first few cooks. Nicely done @Zarcon‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Thank you! Now that I have no pressure with family and friends today, she wants me to do hamburgers... Haha..
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Zarcon‌ nothing wrong with burgers. I'm doing something similar here. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Oh no, nothing at all wrong with burgers.. it's just funny that I get something 'easy' when we're not inviting people, and something hard when we do. Especially since that was my first time.

But I think it went really well for a first time challenge :)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Zarcon‌ I feel ya. I've done big cooks for friends etc Galantine, Brisky, Lolipops, Butts, Steaks, Tuna Steaks, Mahi, Grouper, Scallops, Lobster etc etc.
    Sometimes simplicity wins. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Zarco, that looks to be a XL? Plenty of room for more. I'm try to get one of 2 pork butts done be 4:30 for a neighborhood party. In going tub or at around 320. Nice first cook by the way.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    @Zarco, that looks to be a XL? Plenty of room for more. I'm try to get one of 2 pork butts done be 4:30 for a neighborhood party. In going tub or at around 320. Nice first cook by the way.
    Actually its just a Large. I have all 3 items on the grill at the same time but took off the Tuna before the picture since it was done pretty quick.