Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nostalgic Recipes

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've been pondering what to do on the egg for Husker Game Day this coming Saturday. Then eureka I thought, I'll make something from the past and do it on the egg. I won't divulge what I'm doing because $hi+ hell fire then I won't have the element of surprise. :))
All these cookbooks are Circa 1955-1975. Most of them are from my hometown of North Platte, NE and the Fitch cookbook is a family cookbook from my Grandmother's side. Go Huskers! GBR!!!
imageimageimageimageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    What a cool idea. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @stemc33‌ thanks! "One" of the recipes was written by my Mother. Didn't even know it existed till she showed it to me. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I'm sure it will be fantastic, can't wait.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Good collection you have. I collect old cookbooks....Word to the wise: if published before. WWII cup may really be a tea cup and tablespoon can be a dinnerware tablespoon. Some of those old recipes are good eats.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Makes me miss the Midwest even more so looking through these books. A lot of sportsman recipes that I remember oh so well. I of course didn't cook it but, boy oh boy did I tear it up. Miss it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Now days you see gluten free, low cal, heart healthy etc. These just say OMG delicious! :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Looking forward to see what you come up with.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's all fine and good but why don't you share some of those recipes you jerk. :))

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is great. I have a similar situation with old cookbooks. I'll have a look see with your idea in mind.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    texaswig said:

That's all fine and good but why don't you share some of those recipes you jerk. :))

It'd be my pleasure. Anything in particular you're looking for?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Not really. Just giving you sh**. I do like reading old local cookbooks. What they use to call stuff. And weird recipes.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Can't wait to see what you come up with! ;)
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Can't waite to  see what you have found for us  
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Better buy stock in butter and margarine......  you're gonna be using a lot if it!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I betcha you gonna have a hard time feedin MaMa out of those books!!! Still very interested in what you are eggin you big ass tease!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

I betcha you gonna have a hard time feedin MaMa out of those books!!! Still very interested in what you are eggin you big ass tease!!!

Yep, there's definitely nothing HuskerMaMa will consume for my planned Husker Season Kick-off meal.
    But, I will cook a lil sumptin up for her too :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    My parents live in Grand Island, about halfway between Omaha and North Platte. She has the Betty Crocker Cooking for Two cookbook as well! I've seen it in her kitchen. It's in about the same shape as yours.

I look forward to seeing what you find in those gems. If it doesn't work out, let me know. I'll send you a slice of Valentino's pizza, a bottle of Dorothy Lynch, a Runza and a bowl of chili with a cinnamon roll. GBR!!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Here is one of my personal favorites for old recipes. The book it's self isn't ancient, but some of the recipes have been traced back to the very early 1800's. Some of it I won't even try. And that's saying a lot my friendimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Most of the recipes in the book are so old that they call for the use of "suet". This is the fat from around the kidneys.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    SGH said:
    Most of the recipes in the book are so old that they call for the use of "suet". This is the fat from around the kidneys.
    I've got a bunch of ole Texas cookbooks that call for suet as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Options
    @Griffin‌
    It's actually quite good. Just very hard to come by these days unless you render it down yourself. It's funny how things change with time. Suet was once more available than lard or vegetable oil. Just curious if you have ever tried it yourself? If so what did you think?

Status- Standing by.

• Griffin
    Options
    Was never able to find any @SGH Can't member what I subbed in instead. Probably melted fat. Either beef or bacon.

Rowlett, Texas

• SGH
    Options
    @Griffin‌
    You can pretty much use lard and suet interchangeably and not notice much of a difference either way my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Griffin
    Options
    Good to know. If only I could remember what recipe that was in. I know I have seen it in some chili recipes.

Rowlett, Texas

• SGH
    Options
    @Griffin‌
    If you are close to a slaughter house most will gladly give you kidney fat for free. Then you merely render it down and you have suet.

Status- Standing by.