Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Blackened Appearence on BB Ribs w/ Rub

Options

I have cooked BB ribs many times, but have noticed with a rub that the ribs comes out dark. Most times the ribs are spot on as far as tenderness, but because the bride does not like sauce on her ribs I only use rub on hers. Like I said they taste great, but look rather dark. I tried the foil wrap process, but all several times they came out a bit mushy.

I set up Egg w/ PS and a drip pan to desired temp. I make sure to burn off white smoke and settle in on a temp (it is not a charcoal thing, I use several different types). I use a couple of small wood chucks on occasion, but not always. Then I trim ribs and put rub at least a hour before (have tried several rubs). I have a Maverick 733 and have tried cooking them at 250 - 275 - 300 - 325, to see if I find a temp I prefer. I also spray apple juice once or twice during cook to keep moist. Anyway, any temp, any cook time and same look to ribs.

Do others have this issue and what can I do to get a better looking cook?

Comments

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    That's the sugar in the rub caramelizing. Dark is ok, black is burning and bitter
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The "blackend" probably stems from sugar in the rub.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Are you making your own rubs or purchasing them?  The sugar could be burning causing the darkness.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    The apple juice spray will also contribute to the burning\darkening. You can thin it out with water or skip it altogether. I skip it.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

I add light brown sugar to the rubs I use to sweeten flavor, which kids prefer. Beginning to think this may be responsible for very dark appearance.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Yep, it's the sugar
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You can try using turbinado (aka raw cane sugar) instead of brown sugar.  I have heard it has a higher melting point and won't brown/burn as easy.  I suppose you could also add sugar later in the cook.  Many recipes that involve a foil stage will start with a rub with little or no sugar, then you add sugar during the wrap.  It sounds like you don't want to wrap...but I suppose you could still sprinkle some extra sugar on the ribs later in the cook.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Which gas are you talking about?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I find that apple juice really darkens your rib color. 86 that and you'll be good.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When using my egg I usually do not spritz as I find it to be unnecessary more often than not. Why? The egg is near air tight and is fired by smoldering lump not burning wood. However when running my vertical or offsets I find that it is a huge benefactor. That being said my go to spritz is usually straight water. Why? I'm using it as a moisture aid only for its evaporative and cooling affect and nothing more. I do not depend on a spritz to add a flavor profile. I control that by other means. If you yourself are spritzing for strictly moisture benefits then give the water a try. I feel that you will be more than satisfied with the end result. However if you are spritzing as a flavor enhancer as well you can cut your spritz 50/50 with water and you will still add a flavor profile without excessive darkening of the muscular structure. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    GASGUY said:

I add light brown sugar to the rubs I use to sweeten flavor, which kids prefer. Beginning to think this may be responsible for very dark appearance.

I think that's probably most of your problem. I'd back off the additional sugar.

Little Rock, AR

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Will experiment and get back with results..........thanks for input.