Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Tenderloin(s) - and wings - and pizza

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So do to various circumstances yesterday it turned out we were having dinner tonight with our next door neighbors and another family that each of us knew, but didn't know that they knew the others. I don't know how it works out exactly, the wives figured it out yesterday afternoon.

Anyway, my neighbor was going to make pizzas, did I want to make something? Sure, not sure what. Neighbor wife mentions, I have these pork tenderloins I was going to toss in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce, do you want to do something with those?

Yep, I do, and that's not what I'm going to do. Oh, and I'll do some wings to.

Sauteed some red bell pepper in EVOO, then added sliced garlic and sauteed a bit longer. After that sauteed fresh spinach just briefly until wilted.

Then I filleted both tenderloins, overlapped them slightly, covered with plastic wrap and beat them with a meat hammer.

After the beating with the cast of characters:

Everything spread and ready for wrapping

All tied up and given a coat of Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish. I also gave the interior a decent shake of Mediterranean-ish before spreading the filling.

I wrapped it up in plastic wrap tightly and then it sat in the fridge for about 5 or 6 hours (I prepped this over lunch).

Everything went on the XL at 400* raised indirect. I put the plate setter legs up, out of the fire ring notches, then factory grid, then homemade 2nd tier grid.

Here it is after saucing the wings and putting them back on. If I had thought about it, I would have started with the tenderloin creation at the back.

Here's the wings when they came off.

I then kept the tenderloin on for a bit more for the temp to come up a bit more. Then I took it out and switch to direct heat with the grid on the firering and started cooking direct for a couple minutes and then rolled it 1/4 until it hit my target temp.

Finished:

Here's one of the pizzas my neighbor made in .... his oven (gasp). I brought over the leftover sun-dried tomato, spinach, and some Mediterranean-ish. He used EVOO, then Mediterranean-ish, sauteed spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. He does these in stages in a 550* oven, 3 minutes for crust, EVOO, seasoning; pulls and adds everything but cheese, back in for 3 minutes; pulls and adds cheese, and back in for 3 minutes or until done.

It was really good...

Cheers,

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Oh my goodness that looks divine! Out of curiosity what IT were you shooting for on the pork loin? 145 or 160?
  • DMW
    Options
    Oh my goodness that looks divine! Out of curiosity what IT were you shooting for on the pork loin? 145 or 160?
    145*
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    That pork loin looks amazing.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Very nice
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looking at that loin I think I would have rather gone with the crock pot.....
    :D
    Seriously you must have blown them away, your food looks beyond awesome..Fantastic.
    ^:)^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    +1 on the pork. I have all those ingredients, need to try it. Great cook!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Out of the park!  The pizza looks great as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks fantastic.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Awesome job!!!  Looks fantastic.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks Great Dwayne.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Looks tasty!  I'm using the Mediterranean-ish a lot on pizza and stuff lately.  All DP stuff is great.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    All three items look great!  Hell, even the pizza!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To see him handle the dough is pretty neat. He's been doing pizzas for awhile.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Is it lunch time yet? That looks awesome!

Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Spectacular!  I am stealing the idea about how you prepared the tenderloins into a sort of "meat sheet."  man that's a term only lady gaga would approve of.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The pizza looks great.

The pork looks awesome!  With all these stuffed pork recipes lately I guess I have to try it.  A few questions:
    - How was it?  (tenderness, flavor)  Would stuff it the same way agin?
    - Where do you measure internal temp on a stuffed pork loin?  I assume you want it in the meat or do you just go for the center of the mass?
    - At what temp did you pull it for direct cook and at what temp did you pull it off entirely?

Thanks for sharing.  I too have been impressed with the Mediterranian rub.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    The pizza looks great.

The pork looks awesome!  With all these stuffed pork recipes lately I guess I have to try it.  A few questions:
    - How was it?  (tenderness, flavor)  Would stuff it the same way agin?
    - Where do you measure internal temp on a stuffed pork loin?  I assume you want it in the meat or do you just go for the center of the mass?
    - At what temp did you pull it for direct cook and at what temp did you pull it off entirely?

Thanks for sharing.  I too have been impressed with the Mediterranian rub.
    - Tenderness was good, flavor was great. I would certainly do this again.
    - You want to be checking the interior meat. This is difficult to ascertain. I didn't use a leave in therm, just my Thermapen.
    - Pull for direct when the coolest spot I was probing was 130*. Pulled it for resting when 140*. Carry over to finish.

I think I may add some olives next time, and probably dice the bell pepper a bit finer and saute it a bit more to get the peppers to soften more.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Ooooooh yeah...olives would be good.  You may be thinking black olives,but I'd dive right into the green!  (my wife would disagree)

Thanks again for sharing this.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Looks like a grand slam home run to me! Makes me really miss getting to cook my friend. Excellent job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.