Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Ribs Tamed

Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,338
edited 10:35AM in EggHead Forum
Well, the ribs were good. Maybe a bit more done that optimum, but the fat was successfully rendered. The crust was, well, crusty. The meat was very tender, still moist, but flaked easily (not at all like pork). A very nice mesquite flavor, with a little sweetness from the sauce to compliment JJs rub. [p]They were on the egg 7.5 hours, the last hour the egg was shut down. Average temp of the cook was probably 230. [p]I used my extended grate to get the meat further from the coals. Started at 200, and worked up to 240, but it dropped back to 225 while I was working. I let it go at 225, cuz it really looked like they were coming along. I think 225 for 7 hours would be perfect (at least with the small slab I was working with). [p]Definitely worth doing. The other slab I have in the freezer will probably go in a soy, garlic, ginger marinade tomorrow, for a Thursday cook. That dang membrane is a bit pesky on the beef ribs, and very thick. I thought I had removed it, but obviously I only got a layer. They really do get in the way of eating![p]So, if ya haven't done beef ribs (brisket on a stick as JJ says), give it a go. [p]Cheers
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
·

Comments

• djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]I am glad the beef ribs worked out for you, I just have not had much success with mine. Cooked them several times and the taste is great, just too much fat. Too bad, I can get them cheap from a country source. I have not cooked them as long as your cook lasted. Is that the secret to reducing the fat? I will have to give it a try . . .

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,
    Glad to here 7.5hrs didn't char crust those babies. Direct for that long was making me wonder. How would it have been to do them at 300 indirect for 6 hrs? I was going to try a batch like that next time. Good luck with rack #2. [p]Tim

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,338
    djm5x9,
    I would think the longer it remains at the temp that fat is rendered, the less fat that would be in the final product. Try them again!!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Nature Boy,
    Happy that they turned out good for you.

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,338
    JJ,
    Thanks for steering me right!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    ·
  • JJJJ Posts: 951
    Nature Boy,
    Kathy and I enjoy brisket on a stick. The really enjoy that loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong cook though.

·