Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron plate setter

Options
Has anyone tried one of these? I can see some benefits from it if it's as heavy as it looks would be no fun to clean http://www.casualfurnitureworld.com/product/ibc-cast-iron-plate-setter.html
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Go and check out the naked whiz site, good review - BGE will not let me direct post the link. 

If the CI setter had a grill surface on the leg side (so you could use both sides) it would be even better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I would think the heat would clean it for you.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    High heat cleans just like a ceramic setter - according to the Whiz - weight is about 2# more than the ceramic setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bbqjk
    bbqjk Posts: 18
    Options

I bought one from my BGE dealer along with my LBGE and MBGE purchases about 3 months ago. I wish I could return it. It is heavy to handle, especially when it's hot. It also RUSTS like crazy, even if it is treated with oil. Every time it is used the heat burns off the "protection" and it must be treated again. What a pain!

The AR is a much better alternative in my opinion. Even the ceramic plate setter is easier to use I now believe.

I wouldn't buy one again that's for sure. I think this is one of those items that's better in theory than in practice, based upon my experience, IMHO.

Retired in Houston, Texas  LBGE and MBGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @bbqjk - how did you move it? 
    Seems to me an alnico magnet with a 30# lift would be more than enough. Alnico will maintain strength up to about 500ºC, much hotter than a setter gets. Can't use a magnet with a ceramic setter. 
    Understand about the seasoning burning off, same issues as you would have with the CI grid. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There is a new little tool out called the claw for moving both plate setters. It's a big winner iIMHO. I love it. Rarely even put on my welding gloves any more.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Kinda sweet lil device.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I love my CI plate setter .. never had an issue with rust as I always coat it with either vegetable oil or crisco shortening after cleaning it up. I also store it in an cheap Rubbermaid container I got from Home Depot. The reason I bought it was I was always afraid of breaking my BGE platesetter, so bought this as a backup. Now I only use this all the time. I have a Woo2, so taking it in and out of the BGE is fairly simple.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL