Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nothing crazy, just some pulled pork for tomorrow

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
I found this 8# butt at Wally World. I don't usually buy my meat there but at $2 per lb I couldn't walk away from it. I'm whipping up some pulled pork to bring to my buddies BBQ tomorrow so I don't have to choke down some half blackened Hebrew nationals cooked over Kingsford ready light.

I hit the butt with a bit of olive oil and some dizzy dust. It's sitting and getting happy in the fridge right now and will be hitting the egg around 11 tonight over some Rockwood and a mix of apple and hickory. I'm excited to see how the Rockwood performs in a low and slow cook, my usual go to lump for overnights is WGWW.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    You are going to love the RW. Can't wait to see it. Bring it on home brother !

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Let me know your thought on the RW vs WGWW if you don't mind. Thanks.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @SGH‌ I absolutely will brother. I'm excited to use it. That squeaky clean flavor profile of Rockwood should (I'm guessing) really let the flavor of the smoke wood stand out. We shall see if I'm right!
  • SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I can tell you right now that you are correct. No question of it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Rockwood is fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised to see @stlcharcoal floating by since his head
    must be huge from the compliments.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Just hit the egg! The temp went slightly above my target of 250 but I'm betting she'll settle into a grove soon. There are few better smells in the world than pork smoking on the porch at night! 8->

Edit: sorry bout the thumbnail guys, I guess I was too focused on the cook and the glass of rye
  • SGH
    Options
    Looking good brother Chilly. Standing by.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    13 hours in and this baby has hit the stall HARD. Good thing I'm not in a rush. It smells absolutely phenomenal.

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Looking good this far. Bring it on home brother Chilly.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    Options

Unfortunately this was the only finished photo I got. It was on for over 14 hrs.... It hit a stall at 165 for ever. By FAR the longest stall I've ever experienced. The Rockwood performed even better than expected. It held temp perfectly overnight and I never had any sort of temperature spike at all. As we discussed earlier @SGH‌ the clean flavor profile of Rockwook let the apple and hickory smoke wood come through and shine with the meat. Also there was a surprising amount of lump left over after the cook. If I'd wanted to I'm guessing I could have gone above 20 hours on a full load at the 240 dome temp I was cruising at.

Oh, and the pork was fantastic!!! =P~
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks like a home run to me. Excellent cook. I concur with the RW statement. It's neutral taste allows you to totally control and lay down the smoke profile of choice. Also it's longevity. I have cooked 4 steaks a rack of ribs and 12 red hots and 2 chicken kabobs on less than 5 handfuls of lump using the mini. It's hard to argue with such outstanding results. RW is without question par excellent lump. Again that's some mighty fine looking pork. Solid my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I see your knife block in the back drop of the pic. That is some top tier knives you have there. How do you like them?

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    They are fantastic knives, I think they are absolutely phenomenal. They were well worth the investment.
  • SGH
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I have one of their fillet knives and absolutely love it. They are top tier no doubt .

Status- Standing by.

• Chkultr
    Chkultr Posts: 31
    Options
    I am going to do my first pork butt this weekend. After finding this thread I went ahead and ordered a bag of the Rockwood!
    1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Chkultr‌ It's a fantastic lump, you'll really enjoy it. I would recommend completely cleaning out your egg of all ash and loading with a fresh load of Rockwood and your smoke wood. The clean egg will help with airflow and ensure you can hold your targeted temp for the duration of the cook.
  • Chkultr
    Options
    I planned on starting this cook out with a like new grill. I had to order the lump because I do not have a dealer within 100 miles of me. $24.95 shipped to my door isn't too bad! I only ordered one bag to see if the Naked Whizz reviews were legit! I have some black cherry I am planning on using along with some Dizzy Pig rubs. I am cooking dinner for my mom and uncle's birthday! A lot of pressure for my portion of the meal to turn out! Thank you for the suggestions!
    1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    You've picked a good choice if your doing a low and slow for a crowd for the first time. Pork butt is a very forgiving cook, unlike something along the lines of brisket. I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.

Remember pics or it didn't happen!
  • Chkultr
    Options
    So here it is ready for the overnight fridge portion.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Your killing me brody! I'm on call!!! & as I've been on the forum this evening I've had to already schedule 3 ER calls for tomorrow. Oh the agony. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Your killing me brody! I'm on call!!! & as I've been on the forum this evening I've had to already schedule 3 ER calls for tomorrow. Oh the agony. >:)

How do you schedule ER calls? If it's an ER call, doesn't that mean they need you, like yesterday?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @stemc33‌ When I'm already working on a monster glycol cooling tower and the other calls coming in close doors in 2hrs I push it till the next day. I schedule and run my own calls. We (techs) have a laptop that links to our hone office in TN and I do it all from my van. So that's how it works in a nutshell.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Chkultr‌ looks like they're sitting pretty for the evening. Can't wait to see what you do with em.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    image@stemc33‌ and another one just came in.
    OBTW I'm "On Call" every other week.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    Options
    @stemc33‌ and another one just came in. OBTW I'm "On Call" every other week.
    Fun stuff. Job security.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Tried to quote @NPHuskerFL‌ without using his pic, but everything ran together. I've seen people quote on just a portion of a persons post, but I'm just not savvy enough I guess.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    I can't do it either on my phone. I have to be on a computer. If there is a way to do it I hope someone shares how.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SGH said:

@stemc33‌
    I can't do it either on my phone. I have to be on a computer. If there is a way to do it I hope someone shares how.

It's a secret. Lol :))

You just have to cut the pic quote out. Look forrge "<>".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    Options
    @stemc33‌ and another one just came in. OBTW I'm "On Call" every other week.

Like this.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    If you are not busy could you elaborate a little more brother husker?

Status- Standing by.