Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Competitions

Options
Chkultr
Chkultr Posts: 31
I haven't really seen a BGE in one of these BBQ competitions. I even caught an episode of BBQ U and all he used was a Weber. I am sure he is sponsored so he has to! We are having one here in Hampton,VA. Is the BGE not allowed, not good enough, or is it cheating to use a BGE? I love my BGE and wouldn't mind entering in the competition. But rolling up to one with a BGE might be frowned upon!

Thoughts?
1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,530
    Options
    I entered my first, and my last, competition earlier this summer.  As long as its not specifically banned, I see no reason not to use your Egg.  It is SO good enough!  
    Here's the only problem I see with an Egg in a competition: there just isn't enough "real estate" on an Egg to feed a crowd, and that's half the fun of a competition (well, this one).  I covered the judges just fine, but everyone around me, with their big twig burners, propane starships, and even Traegers were handing out chicken parts, whole ribs, etc to the sampling crowd, while I had to give each passerby a 1"x1"x1/8" bite of brisket, and I ran out just before the end of the competition.  If I had, say, three XL's, it'd be a bit easier, but I'm not that rich.  
    My two scents.  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Chkultr‌
    The egg certainly produces a quality product. But as Botch mentioned above quantity is it's short coming for comp use. Most of the Weber guys are cooking on multiple WSM'S. Basically a sheet metal version of the egg. It's much lighter in weight and far easier to handle than a ceramic cooker. Also it's less fragile and can be taken apart for easy transport. At the other end of the spectrum you will find yourself cooking against guys like myself who can turn out massive amounts of meat to woo the crowd if you will. But can you do it on the egg? Certainly. Is it the best choice for comps? No. Pictured below is what you will be up against with your egg trying to complete all categories in the competition arena. The vertical unit will hold over 750 pounds of meat when properly loaded. The offset can hold over a half a ton. Literally.imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    I am a KCBS judge and I see eggs all the time at competitions. WIth that said anyone using an egg has several of them in order to get the quantities need to cook at these things. I would love to start up a team but with only one large and one small egg, i am a little short. I have seen teams win using nothing than webber kettle grills for 80 bucks and beating the pants off teams with 10k in a cooker. I think as long as you master the cooker you are using and produce quality q your good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    It varies greatly on the type of competition.  I was on a team that did many KCBS comps. using two XL's.  Most comps you do not serve the public, only the judges so you can get by with a much lower volume.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The type of comp is definitely a factor in determining whether an Egg is a good choice for the event. Around here, People's Choice type comps are typically won by those who produce not only a decent product but lots of it. Not uncommon here for the winner to be the guy who didn't run out of meat and serves right up to the end. For that type of event large/commercial size cookers are a better choice IMO.

For KCBS style comps where you cook just for the KCBS judges the Egg is a pretty popular choice. Our last comp had 11 Eggs among 4 cook teams in one row alone. We had 4 Eggs and our neighbor had 3 LBGEs. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q I love that pic!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I've seen several of the teams on the BBQ shows using them, most notably Big Moe Cason of Ponderosa BBQ.  He doesn't use it exclusively, but does use it for something every time I've seen him in a comp.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like Nature Boy (Of Dizzy Pig) figured out how to make Eggs work at a comp.

Grand Champ at Harpoon Championship New England BBQ Competition.

Congrats Chris and team!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker