Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temperature and controllers

bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just been thinking (I know that's dangerous for an Egghead) since to the best of my knowledge all recipes are referenced to dome temperature, why do we not use the grate temperature probe for a controller in the hole where the thermometer is and control to that value?  This would eliminate the ambiguity of grate temp vs. dome temp.  It would be very easy to do as I have my thermometer sitting loose without a clip on the back.  Might just give it a try on my next L&S.  I know I have heard of folks attaching the Mav probe to the dome thermometer on the inside, but do not recall anyone trying to actually control to dome temp.  Has anyone tried it? Any further thoughts on this?
My thoughts would be to bring the Egg to temp with the dome therm and then remove it and put the thermocouple and fan on after it is stabilized.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    It's a thought. Probably because many of us are stuck in our ways. Grillin, I go by dome temp, L&S I go grate temp. Probably because old probes couldn't handle grill temps (mine now handle 700+ easy). I could start going grate tmep now when grilling, I just never do. I try and mention whether I mean grate or dome temp in my posts to avoid confusion.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I clip my guru temp probe onto the clip for the dial gauge, so my guru is controlling to dome temp, not grate temp
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    There have been times when I have had my cooking grid completely full of butts and clipped my controller pit probe to the stem of the dome thermometer and ran on dome temp.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,352
    My thought is that you want to control the temperature where the meat is at. If your using a controller you can look at the difference between grid and dome and adjust if necessary. If your not using a controller or grid monitor then you have to depend on the dome reading thus that's why most cook instructions refer to it. Controlling at the grid takes the guess work out of it. If someone posts they are raised direct at dome 400 there's going to be some guess as to what the actual grid temp is based on how high they are raised or not. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    If the probe will fit through the dome hole I think that would be a fine way to do it.  I used to do this with the older maverick but the newer probes (et-732 or later) are too thick to fit through the dome hole. 

My controller is sort of home made rig and the temperature probe is just thermocouple wire with the ends twisted together (ghetto probe- not recommended).  I run it through one of the petals in the daisy wheel so it is actually closer to dome temp.   Notice the high tech cable shield.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082

Since all BGE's come with the dome thermo, that by custom becomes the cook target temperature unless other-wise mentioned.  As long as whatever thermo you choose to use is calibrated, then you have a reference from which to plan the cook duration-although since you cook to final temp (or feel) then it is just a guesstimate. 

I believe that initially starting out, many get fixated on an exact temperature for the cook, over time you learn that "close is good enough", especially on long duration L&S cooks.  You can overload on temperature info (especially given the thermal gradients within the BGE).  Just an opinion...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm running around here at work like a chicken without a head doing mine plus 2 other people's jobs as they called in sick today so I didn't really think that through real well. Dome temp really doesn't make sense. Why do you want to know the temp at the dome? It's more accurate to know the temp where your food is actually cooking. But BGE coudn't put the temp dial there or it would be hitting the food a lot of times. (Heck, I had to pull my dome thermometer last night on the mini as it was hitting my country style ribs wrapped in foil). Most people who have offset smokers or have built their own smokers, drill a hole right where grate level is. I did that with mine. Makes more sense.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Griffin said:
    I'm running around here at work like a chicken without a head doing mine plus 2 other people's jobs as they called in sick today so I didn't really think that through real well. Dome temp really doesn't make sense. Why do you want to know the temp at the dome? It's more accurate to know the temp where your food is actually cooking. But BGE coudn't put the temp dial there or it would be hitting the food a lot of times. (Heck, I had to pull my dome thermometer last night on the mini as it was hitting my country style ribs wrapped in foil). Most people who have offset smokers or have built their own smokers, drill a hole right where grate level is. I did that with mine. Makes more sense.
    I mostly use my Egg indirect and I when I run a probe at the grill and in the dome, I find they usually are within a couple of degrees.  And when cooking direct, I'm not generally using temp probes anyway.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    lousubcap said:

over time you learn that "close is good enough", especially on long duration L&S cooks.  You can overload on temperature info (especially given the thermal gradients within the BGE).  Just an opinion...

Exactly.  Recipe temps are just a guideline, in the end it doesn't really matter that much.  For instance, pork shoulder can be cooked at 215º (if you want to wait forever) or at 350º or more, and your end result will be no different.  Some meats (like brisket) I like to keep at traditional BBQ temps (250º) as I haven't had much luck going turbo with those.  But most meats can be temp adjusted based on when you want to eat (or when you want them finished).
    Packerland, Wisconsin