Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Flat iron steak

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731

I occasionally cook.

Tried a warm-ageing technique that I read about somewhere. Threw the packaged flat iron steak into the SVS at 103°F x 1hr to activate the calpain enzymes, then bumped to 120°F x 1hr to activate the cathepsin enzymes. Let it finish at 131°F x2hrs, dusted with DP Raising TheSteaks,  finally  seared it  on the small at 600°F for 30 seconds per side.

Edge to edge deliciousness. Farkin beautiful. Super tender. I could have eaten the whole thing while I was just carving it up, but apparently SWMBO was waiting for some dinner, so I had to share. Made a chimichurri of sorts with fresh oregano, mint, basil, sage, habanero (all from the garden), garlic, EVOO, and balsamic. The sauce was entirely unnecessary. Plated with acorn squash done on the egg with DP Raging River, because I had to use it for something.

I don't know why I never cooked a flat iron steak before, but I'm sure there will be a next time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks excellent. I love flat iron steak. I have never tried SV though. Again yours looks excellent. Nice job.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited July 2014
    Options

Looks Bitching, what did you hot tub it with, any seasoning/herbs?

Also what was all the different temps in the SV, am I dropping the ball by just SV at my desired temp (125 for steaks) in the first place. I'm new to this SV and still haven't hit a home run with protein yet, my best SV has been asparagus in my SV Demi at 170 for 50 minutes foodsavered with a tablespoon of bacon fat and Raging River (very good). My wife says reverse sear smokes SV. I'm trying...  

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Holy Moly! Excellent job.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Another home run my friend, may I suggest you cook more often  :))
    Thanks for sharing, time to read up more on warm ageing.
    canuckland
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

Damn fine cook there...

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow! Gorgeous. Who knew their was so much science behind SV a steak? I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons behind it and would love to hear an explanation, but to  lazy to go look for one myself.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice @Caliking
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks, fellas. 

I don't know much more than what I read on someone's blog somewhere on the internet. I think the original info was gleaned from a Thomas Keller book or MCAH, but not sure . All enzymes have a temperature at which they are most active, so that's what the warm aging process takes advantage of. The enzymes work on the meat protein to tenderize it, just like wet or dry aging.

@Grillmagic - took a cue form @pantsypants and just threw the meat in the SVS as it came packaged from the store. Seasoned it just before searing, and the flavor was wonderful. plus less hassle since I didn't have to foodsaver the meat with the seasoning/herbs and then SV. This was just something I was trying, you don't have to vary the temps during SV cooking. SV Chicken breasts are amazing IMO. I've eaten more chicken breast now in the last few months than I have in the past 20years! 24hr rack of lamb also turns out great. 

@Canugghead - Would you believe that I do most of the cooking now? SWMBO has her hands full with caliprince, so I try to be useful where I can :) Just don't get around to taking pics and posting them as often to prove that they happened. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome!  I need to get my sous vide steak on.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks great. Very tasty! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @caliking I think I found the same article in someone's blog, it's sounds neat, the two enzymes turbo dry and wet ages the meat respectively. The blogger pre seared the steak to be safe, since the first two hours were really low temp, is that really necessary though? I may just wave the butane flame over it briefly instead.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Is my boy eating steak yet?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You mean your grandbaby, old man? doing Niagara?
    What a cutie, I bet he looks very different now.
    canuckland
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome! ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    Options

Not yet, but soon enough we think :) He's been busy growing more hair and trying to get the hang of crawling.

@canugghead - I don't think I remembered that, so I didn't do it. Also, I was trying to make things a little less fussy by throwing the packaged meat as-is into the bath. The flavor was very good, and since the cook was about 4hrs I figured I was safe. USDA recs say foods at 40°F-140°F for more than 4hrs are no bueno, and I figured that must have some wiggle room to allow for people like me :)

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:

Not yet, but soon enough we think :) He's been busy growing more hair and trying to get the hang of crawling.

@canugghead - I don't think I remembered that, so I didn't do it. Also, I was trying to make things a little less fussy by throwing the packaged meat as-is into the bath. The flavor was very good, and since the cook was about 4hrs I figured I was safe. USDA recs say foods at 40°F-140°F for more than 4hrs are no bueno, and I figured that must have some wiggle room to allow for people like me :)

Cali,

My oldest never could crawl. He would roll and tack like a sailboat. He was walking at 9 months though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    Agree. I plan to try a frozen vac packed steak, any baddies are probably long gone!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    LS - That gives me hope! He rolls like a crocodile, and covers a good bit of ground when he does. 

@canugghead - I read somewhere that you should tack on 30mins extra if you put a frozen piece of meat into the water bath. No w that you mention it, m y steak was not completely defrosted, so I did add an extra 30 mins at the beginning before I bumped the temp up to 120°F.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I just got a Sansaire SV Unit as an early XMAS gift - so excited! I have had this Post as a Bookmark for a long time now . . . hoping to try tonight.  Thanks for the post @caliking
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Man the steak looks good and the kid is super handsome.  Cute little fella! My oldest didn't crawl at all.  She just rolled around, was too fat.  She didn't walk till almost 15 months either.  I'll try and find a picture.  She ate everything she could reach!  My youngest is totally different.  She is a wild monkey and has been running since she was 10 months old.  It is wild how different siblings can be.  The oldest screamed and ran from Santa, I think the youngest would have went home with him and never cared we left.  

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Just realized this is an old thread. Oh well, now I don't feel so bad for high jacking!

This is 3, 4, and 5 months I think. She was a beast. Weighed the same for around a year!

photo B159E1B3-D55E-4E74-8F1F-5B6FD37B9257.png

photo 2AB0598F-F8D0-45B3-BE00-A58BD2B167E9_1.png

photo 3459FCA9-DEE5-4D52-B282-F0ECFA23B142.png

XLBGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I always get worried to go that low, but looks like it worked out great. I remind myself that beef isn't nearly as risky as chicken at those low initial temps.
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • caliking
    Options

@NDG - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I think its one of the better SV cooks I've done so far. I's also like to hear what you think of the Sansaire.

@MrCookingNurse - Thanks! Your lil girl is quite the cutie herself. How old is she now? The second pic is very Mafioso :) My guy figured out how to crawl, and he's like a greased pig now.

@bweekes - yeah, I probably would have been a bit skittish about doing chicken that low too. I figured it was a solid hunk of (seemingly) non-jaccarded meat, so it would be fine. I doubt I would try this with ground meat.