Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New CI

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Drove 140 miles to Billings today so my daughter can stock up on her years supply of food. So on the way to Costco, we stopped at Cabela's and I had a $30.00 gift certificate so I picked up a 10" cast iron skillet set. The shallow skillet also doubles as a lid for the deep skillet. Now, I just need to figure out how to use them. Any advice from the CI gurus?
Hopefully I'll use them soon. First I gotta help my daughter box and ship her 120lbs. of sugar and the millions of canned food she bought. Her shipping cost are more than the food cost. Crazy.
imageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    Brother there is a wide range of things you can cook with your cast iron. Just a note and I'm sure others will disagree with this but: I like using cast iron on a outdoor propane burner instead of on the egg for most things. Not all things but most. There are some exceptions of course. I feel I have more exacting control over the temp with the propane burner. Again there are circumstances where this is irrelevant. Congratulations on the iron. Hope you enjoy it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    My #1 way. This is on a spider, but can sit directly on lump. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    Options
    @Mickey‌ that looks awesome. Will the seasoning be okay if I set it directly in the lump?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bet it said pre-seasoned on the paper around it. In answer to your question; yes it will be fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    It pretty much depends on what use you have in mind for it. I bob the handles on most of mine to make them kamado friendly. I use them for a number of cooks and braises. This is a 13 " Lodge skillet that is a work horse. I use it for pan seared whole chicken, potatoes for vertical turkey, just about anything you can think of.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @stemc33‌ awesome! You're gonna love your CI.

Man I do miss Cabela's! I used to drive to Sidney which is one of the first locations. Wish we had one here. We have Academy Sports and Gander Mountain but, it ain't no Cabela's. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Have ya tried it / broke it In yet? @stemc33‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I had plans to do a cobbler tonight, but went to the movies with my daughter instead. Maybe tomorrow, but that's the start of a four day stretch of work. If I don't try it tomorrow, I'll have to wait until Wed or Thurs. I'll post pics good or bad though.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @stemc33‌ sounds like a plan man.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    Options
    Couldn't wait. The excitement got the best of me. Started the BGE at about 0400 and went to work on making some fresh blackberry cobbler. Warmed up some butter in the skillet on the BGE and brought it back in the house to pour the batter. Tossed in the blackberries and back out to the egg.
    Been cooking for an hour at about 325°-350°. Almost done. Here's the pics so far.
    imageimageimageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Finished. It's a beautiful morning in Wyoming for some blackberry cobbler and ice cream. Breakfast of champions.
    imageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dang! Wish I could stop by for some cobbler breakfast! That is some view.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @stemc33. That'll do nicely.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• stemc33
    Options
    @DMW‌ , I'm not sure this is the money cobbler. I'll have to wait until I dive in and taste it. Pretty sure the recipe was a little heavy on the sugar by looking at it. Your welcome to stop by and enjoy the wide open spaces. Starting to get dry looking around here, but it's still nice. It hit 100° the last few days.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Plated and demolished. Tasty, but needs some adjustments to the recipe.
    imageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Nice way to break in your new CI.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I have never seen a pic on here that actually made me smile. Yours did. Not bad for 6 am on a Saturday morning. :) Thanks for the post. I'm going to assume your daughter is prepping for college????
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I have never seen a pic on here that actually made me smile. Yours did. Not bad for 6 am on a Saturday morning. :) Thanks for the post. I'm going to assume your daughter is prepping for college????

Actually she's a school teacher in a small fishing village off the coast of the Bering Sea. She brought my grandson down for a month. Fun times. She buys all her can goods and dry staples here then ships them up there. Quite the process.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm a school teacher in a small farming village of the coast of Puget Sound...but I can get my canned goods in town. (and we have a Cabela's about an hour away. :) )
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    Options
    The new 10" cast iron skillet is awesome. Perfect size for a cobbler. I pretty much ate more than half of it, so a bigger skillet wouldn't be a good thing for me. At least when it comes to cobbler.

I was anticipating a difficult clean up since it cooked for over an hour. Actually it wiped clean quite easily. Wish I would of got one a long time ago.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    ^:)^ @stemc33‌ that's fantastic looking. Yep I'll be doing a blueberry cobbler or crisp tomorrow. Thanks for the share. Most Excellent!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    That's just awesome right there.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks @NPHuskerFL‌ and @SGH‌
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I do miss the wide open spaces of NE.I have an Uncle that lived near Casper. Beautiful country in NE, KS, CO, WY etc. Awesome view! Here's the pie pan I'll use tomorrow..
    Oops today. :))

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Pic didn't attach.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I looked for something like that on the lodge site, but didn't see anything. That things perfect for the Egg. A little of mine overhangs the plate setter because of the handle. I might have to bob mine like @keepervodeflame‌ does.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Awesome post and pics..Love your view..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....