Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Question

Options
124»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sounds like you used Rutland's latex adhesive that came in that blister package - right? That was the problem! Permatex is the only adhesive to use.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    First time, yes...that's how I did it. Second time I used some Permatex Hi-Temp with same result. Less brittle than the Rutland stove glue, but the gasket still came up after a few hi-temp cooks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    well - glad you found something you like - I've just supplied nearly 1,300 Rutlands to eggers so I think I might know what I'm talking about. A small place may separate but it's easily repairable. Sounds to me like you spread the Permatex too thin and it was not able to work up into the fibers to bind it tightly when it cures. Oh well - you're happy with whatever you have.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh well - you're happy with whatever you have.
    All that matters....image
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Maccool‌
    Mine hopefully will stay stuck. If anything I think I over glued mine. I used 2 tubes of Permatex. In hind site a 1/2 of a tube probably would have sufficed. Glad you got yours to work out.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.