Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Wings

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Flying solo tonight, family is still at the beach. Ran over to WM this morning and picked up a 2 pack of turkey wings. Put them in the fridge to dry.

Around lunch time I clipped the tips and hit one with "Traditional Turkey" from Tasty Licks BBQ, the other with Curry-ish from Dizzy Pig.

Got the small to 400* with some cherry wood.

Raised direct. The toothpick was so I could remember which was which. Toothpick = Traditional Turkey

No sauce, cooked til around 180*-ish

I tasted both, ate the Curry-ish. Traditional Turkey was good, but Curry-ish was great. The other will make a great lunch tomorrow.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fine looking bird you got there.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Fine looking bird wings you got there my friend.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• DMW
    Options
    Epic dessert. Nailed it.

imageimageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    You sure did! Nice!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Funny, how the dp keeps winning. Good stuff. And what this s'more stuff- your supposed to drink dessert! :-? :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Funny, how the dp keeps winning. Good stuff. And what this s'more stuff- your supposed to drink dessert! :-? :D

Dessert?!?! How do you think I got this far? Drinking was from start to finish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ok. Then carry on. #-o
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Good looking cook.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I said hell yeah
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    I did turkey legs the other day at 300 until 178ish and i was mistaking on not brining or something....i bought them free range and they were not super tough but they were close.... any thoughts?
    Beaufort, SC
  • DMW
    Options
    @plumbfir01 I had the same reaction to turkey legs. Then I tried curing them first. That did the trick. I'm guessing the texture of wings could have been amped up if I had cured them as well, but didn't plan ahead enough for that.

Here's a thread where I commented with the wet-cure recipe and results:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    Do you like the "ham" like taste that curing imparts? I myself do. My wife does not. Just curious.

Status- Standing by.

• sofakingbald
    Options
    Nice - I just ate and I'm hungry again.
    BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• DMW
    Options
    @SGH yes, I do like the "ham" flavor that curing adds.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I like it a lot. I will cure the whole turkey sometimes.

Status- Standing by.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I cooked turkey wings last weekend and was not impressed.  I did them indirect at 275* until 165*, and they were just a pain to get any meat off them.  With all the gristle and tendons, I felt they were not worth it.  Chicken wings rock much better than their foul cousins.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice cook - looks like you got the Turkey Wings figured out.   

I tried them them recently and it was awful - actually - one of the worst things I have ever pulled off the egg.  I probably screwed something up . . . but regardless - I would have to agree 100% with @500 comments.   The texture of the meat surrounding all the tendons was slimy/wet and I had to remove gristle from my mouth a few times. My wife took a few bites and gave me the stink eye as if I served her tainted donkey meat!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”