Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back ribs on Adjustable Rig

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
We are having some friends over and I am cooking five racks of ribs tomorrow. I just got an adjustable rig R&B combo and rig extender this week. I'm sure I can tinker with it and figure it out, but for those with an adjustable rig, would you use the rig extender and cook a few racks on it, or can you fit five racks on two levels indirect using just the adjustable rig? It seems that using the rig extender would cause a lot of the radiant heat from the dome to cook, or char, the ribs on top a lot faster.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have 3 racks going on in the AM, hosting some friends also. If its all you got you will be fine, i have 2 oval racks so that helps. Good luck.

BTW I will rotate my racks for an even cook at some point. I also did myself a favor and rubbed and took off the membrane tonight.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mayberry‌
    I have the large AR but not the extender. I can easily do 9 racks of ribs no problem at all on just the AR. I can actually do more than 9 if I so desire but arrangement becomes both critical and a issue as well to avoid over crowding. No need to delve in farther into that at this time. But yes you can easily fit 5 racks of BB on the AR unless they are massive rough cuts. If you purchased them at a store instead of a slaughterhouse I can almost say for certain that they are not rough cuts. They are fully trimmed and nipped. They will fit without issue. Here is the general AR arrangement. As always this is just my opinion and what works very well for me. Others findings and results may vary from mine. I hope this helps my friend .imageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @SGH. A little Off Topic here but are you a relative of Edgar Allen Poe? We crow about your cooks constantly. ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Not that I know off. About the only person that I was related to that you may know off is Albert Einstein. He was my great Uncle on my mothers side of the family.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @SGH.Egg=Many Cooks 2'd

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    Options
    @Mayberry‌
    Here is a excellent alternative if you have the spider and a round stone. Do not use the oval stone but in its place use a cheap weber grid from Walmart. This will increase your capacity to 4 grids sitting on the AR. With this set up you can cook a army of ribs. But you must have the spider, round stone and a extra cheap grid from any hardware or Walmart. Just thought I would share for future cooks.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    You do know that was my attempt at being humorous? I'm not related to brother Einstein nor brother Poe to my knowledge. But I appreciate the comparison nonetheless.

Status- Standing by.

• Mayberry
    Options
    @SGH‌ Thanks for the advice. I typically use a deeper Weber drip pan underneath. Doesn't look that will fit with your setup. I might have to stop using disposable and get a more shallow permanent drip pan instead.
    Athens, GA
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Here is my AR with 4 racks of bb. I quit using the oval stone and just use the stainless band that you wrap with foil. I had a 3rd level for some appetizers. Hope all is working for you.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Sorry, forgot this one.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Are you saying u use no stone? Or you just use the ring setup for your drip pan
    Seattle, WA
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Ribs are on! Now we wait...

In still a little worried about a low temp cook being that close to the dome. I'm sure I'm just worrying about nothing, though. Don't want dry ribs.
    Athens, GA
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    2 hours in for me went ahead and rotated. Bad news is guests canceled.... May vac seal some.
    Seattle, WA