Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first overnight cook tonight, questions and progress.

Options
I'm doing a 9lb butt tonight, and what I can't figure out is when I have my temp stabilized at say 230, then put on the meat, do I leave the temp alone or do whatever's necessary to bring it back up before going to bed? I'm guessing that after putting on such a big hunk-o-meat, temps are going to want to plummet for a long time??
Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Get your temp stabilize for 45-1hr with PS & drip pan in the egg. You are correct that the temp will drop when that hunk of cold meat goes into the egg. Fight the urge to mess with the vents. Stay up with it for a couple more hrs and it should rebound right back where it was. If you adjust the vents you will be chasing it all night. Good luck!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Plan on 18 to 20 hours at 230 dome. Overnights are fun so enjoy. Leave the temp alone it will rebound.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Once your temp is stabalized put yout meat on. Yes, temp will drop but will recover in due course.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Get your temp stabilize for 45-1hr with PS & drip pan in the egg. You are correct that the temp will drop when that hunk of cold meat goes into the egg. Fight the urge to mess with the vents. Stay up with it for a couple more hrs and it should rebound right back where it was. If you adjust the vents you will be chasing it all night. Good luck!!!

I agree, but I put my plate setter in after 10 minutes of lighting the Eggame legs down to get it up to temp and better air flow to get it to stabilize. Yes the big hunk of meat will suck the temp down, but haven't taken 2 hour's to come back up. What time are you starting?

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    We're planning on eating at 5 tomorrow, having it finished cooking around 2 just to be safe. I was estimating 15 hours but maybe that's not enough? I was going to put it on at 11 tonight. 18-20 hours!?! Yikes. Just finished cleaning it out and building up the lump. Hoping I did that right. Mixed in apple and pecan chips throughout. Plan to light the top center (electric igniter) and let it burn down. I'd like to have the bottom damper all the way open and control with the daisy wheel like I've read about, but have never tried that before. Its kind of hard for me to believe its doable. Sharing a nice summery tangerine wheat beer with SWMBO, and trying not to panic about temps and timimg. Life is good.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Don't panic! Just be prepared to adapt as needed. This is more of an art than a science.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    At 230 dome I average about 2 hours per pound. Every butt is different some are faster some slower. I have never tried a low and slow with the vents that way. I have had my egg since December and average one or two overnights a month so I am no expert but the biggest issue I have ever had is losing the fire. It can set you back a little but it is not a big deal if can catch it quickly.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    noregard said:

We're planning on eating at 5 tomorrow, having it finished cooking around 2 just to be safe. I was estimating 15 hours but maybe that's not enough? I was going to put it on at 11 tonight. 18-20 hours!?! Yikes.

Just finished cleaning it out and building up the lump. Hoping I did that right. Mixed in apple and pecan chips throughout.

Plan to light the top center (electric igniter) and let it burn down.

I'd like to have the bottom damper all the way open and control with the daisy wheel like I've read about, but have never tried that before. Its kind of hard for me to believe its doable.

Sharing a nice summery tangerine wheat beer with SWMBO, and trying not to panic about temps and timimg.

Life is good.

Have you thought about cooking it turbo method or a little say at 275 to 325? That's how I do it and a 8 to 9 pounder is done in 6.5 hours. The nice thing I don't have stay up with it. I did 2 like this last weekend and they were great.

I haven't had much luck with leaving the bottom vent open all the way and the top chocked down. I usually have the top at an 1/8" - 1/4" and the bottom at a 1/4" - 1/2".

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is what I cooked last week.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    There are turbo fans on here like @Ladeback69‌ but if you are set on an overnight give it a shot. My suggestion would be run at a higher dome temp. I have tried from 225-275 and there is not a huge difference in end result. I find on the higher end of the scale 250-275 you have less chance of fire loss.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I agree with Smokinpig I think i would dial it in at 250 and have no worries about losing your fire during the night.

Ive never noticed a big benifit from going lower and have woke to my egg at 180 and dropping before
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • noregard
    Options
    250 it is. I just turned on the gas grill, first time inthe last year, doing up some dogs for a quick easy supper. Already know they're not going to be as good as the egg, book.
  • noregard
    Options
    That was supposed to say booooo! Can't edit for some reason.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    You will do fine. Post up some pics as it goes.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy this ride.  Eggcellent insights above- I endorse not messing with any air-flow devices once dialed in and going with the 260+/- 20*F on the calibrated dome thru the night.  Set it, make sure it is stable,  load and go!  You can never guesstimate the cook duration but with your plan, if you check it early AM and are worried, then you can easily dial it up.  Pork butt is quite forgiving. FTC(foil, toweles and cooler) is your cook-time equalizer.  More if that becomes a requirement.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • noregard
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Here's my lump build up, certainly never had that much in there before!

Just calibrated my thermometer, it was 18* low.  

Getting close to show time!
  • noregard
    Options
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Looks fine, I usually go higher but hardly use half of it.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Smokinpig
    Options
    This is mine from overnight on the 4th. When I do one I just center the butt on the grid. This is a 9 pounder that took 16 hours running 260-275ish. Also my remaining lump after a 20 hour butt. I use rockwood.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• noregard
    edited July 2014
    Options
    A liberal amount of Mickeys Coffee Rub has been applied to the main guest. :)  Photobucket won't upload the pic for some reason so you'll have to use your imaginations.

I'm going to shoot for 250/260, thinking that should put me back into the 1.75 hours/pound?
  • noregard
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    This is mine from overnight on the 4th. When I do one I just center the butt on the grid. This is a 9 pounder that took 16 hours running 260-275ish. Also my remaining lump after a 20 hour butt. I use rockwood.
    Wow, that looks amazing!  Did you have a glaze on it?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @noregard - if I looked at the pic correctly your lump only goes to the bottom of the fire ring. If I were you I would load it up till it almost touches the PS. You prolly won't need that much but no need to chance running out of fuel. Don't know which lump you are using but for some out there what you have in your egg won't be enough for the length of cook you are planning.

analyze adapt overcome

• Smokinpig
    Options
    @noregard‌ kosher salt and pepper only for my rub. That is all I ever use, I keep it simple.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @Mattman3969‌ said. Load it up. Just need a small space between the PS and the lump for airflow. Good luck.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • noregard
    Options
    More lump coming up! Might have to open another bag, theres no good pieces left in the one I opened and used so far.  Royal Oak, blue bag…very few big pieces, hopefully its not an issue.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    You should be fine if you fill it up to almost the top of the fire ring.

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @noregard‌
    Load it full like this. If you notice the lump is touching the cast iron grid. With the grid removed I can load another 3 inches of lump. If you are mindful of the fire you can load all the way to the top of the fire ring without any issues.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• noregard
    Options
    Not having much success thus far. Lit the egg, it got to 280, closed dampers down to try and tame things and it went out. I've relit it again and its up at 280 again,hoping the same thing doesn't happen. Could be a long night.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @noregard‌
    I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but are you anywhere near Biloxi? I will come help you if you are reasonably close my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• noregard
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Alberta! 2241 miles apart...damn! Having g a hard time figuring out if its burning or going out again. The vents are BARELY open, still above 280. Thinking about putting it on and see what happens???