Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock and Grilled Corn

Options
Last night I broke in my new plate setter. I've done spatched before, but this time I wanted to try out indirect. I used leftover Rockwood lump and sprinkled cherry chips in that. Lit with the looflighter and off we went. Spatched tthe yardbird and removed the keel bone then dusted with DP Swamp Venom and threw it on raised indirect at 400, I soaked the white corn for about half an hour before tossing them on, husks and all. Turned the corn to keep from burning, the yardbird stayed in the same place for the entire cook. Husked the corn, removed the bird to rest, and threw some of the corn back on to get slightly charred. The boys said everything was delicious, but we all agreed that Swamp Venom is a bit too spicy for our tastes on chicken. They DEVOURED the corn! Each one of them had two cobs in addition to their chicken, They ate their corn with just butter and salt, while I went more of the Mexican "street corn" route. They asked for chicken and corn again tonight. If that's not a compliment, I don't know what is. :)
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    How long do you leave the corn on and how do you know when it's done?  P.S. It all looks quite tasty.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Both the corn and the chicken look excellent. Very nice job of laying the bird out as well. Outstanding cook my friend. Nicely done! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Oh if you deliver I will gladly take a plate. I prefer dark meat. ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Excellent cook - looks beautiful.  That corn looks good enough to eat...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    I'm really liking the looks of that corn!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good.  Cooked some grilled corn and spare ribs myself tonight. 

In my opinion, DP swamp venom is about a 2 on the 1-100 scale of spicy heat.  Then again, I'll go through a bottle of naga jolokia sauce in a few weeks. ;)
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. :)

@OmahaOne‌ I probably left them on about 25 minutes or so. I pulled the husks back on one and tried a few kernels to test for doneness. (Not an exact science, I know.)

@SGH I'm sorry, my friend, my boys ate all the dark meat. That's their favorite. I'm more of a white meat type of girl.

@nolaegghead‌ My kids don't like spicy (hot) at all. As for me, I didn't care for this particular spice taste on chicken. Perhaps on something else....
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Looks luverly. I spatched one in a CI pan last weekend - knockout. If you have a pan you should try it. Browns nicely, cooks evenly and retains moisture.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields