Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What have I bought.....CAB Brisket.....

Options
Having a few people over for the 4th and planned to do a brisket flat and some spare ribs. The store didn't have any flats and had just whole briskets. I know packers are best but it would be way too much meat for this small crowd. Was forced to go with a 5lb trimmed CAB. Not exactly sure what I have. Looks to he mostly flat. Looks well marbled. Trimmed off most of outer fat, hope not too much. Help.....can I make this work??

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

You can make it work for sure. Can you post a picture of it. If its a packard it came from a calf and not a cow, so guessing it is mostly a flat. Flat only can be very tempermental and dry eaisly so you may want to foil when it hits 160 until done to try and keep it from drying out. The hard fat is what you want to trim most of and leave about 1/4 inch of the rest of the fat on the outside.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    A packer cut brisket would still be the best even though it seems like too much meat for your crowd.  Leftovers can be frozen very easily and come out great.  A 5 lb brisket is very difficult to cook since it dries out so easily. 

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

You can make it work for sure. Can you post a picture of it. If its a packard it came from a calf and not a cow, so guessing it is mostly a flat. Flat only can be very tempermental and dry eaisly so you may want to foil when it hits 160 until done to try and keep it from drying out. The hard fat is what you want to trim most of and leave about 1/4 inch of the rest of the fat on the outside.

Sorry- are you saying packers only come from calves?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that's a small chunk of brisket love.......couple ideas.....
    - inject with a beef broth to add moisture, can buy the broth jars that come with a cheapo injector.
    - hit with a bunch of smoke then wrap with some broth in the foil, as mentioned wrap around 160
    - smoke it, see how it looks, if not tender/moist, chop and mix with bbq sauce for chop brisket sammies.
    - freeze it for later date and buy a small packer,  plan for left overs.....brisket nachos are fantastic way to use up brisket.....try it with home style potato chips instead of nacho chips......this is what I'd do.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    corey24 said:
    Having a few people over for the 4th and planned to do a brisket flat and some spare ribs. The store didn't have any flats and had just whole briskets. I know packers are best but it would be way too much meat for this small crowd. Was forced to go with a 5lb trimmed CAB. Not exactly sure what I have. Looks to he mostly flat. Looks well marbled. Trimmed off most of outer fat, hope not too much. Help.....can I make this work??
    I'm in the same boat as you as far as people attending. But, all the store had was a 18# packer.
    I'm just going to freeze the leftovers. It definitely won't go to waste.
    :D
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    Here are a couple pics.

• corey24
    Options
    I plan to foil around 160-165. Could also inject......

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2014
    Options
    There is definitely a chunk of point on there. I really hope there might be a small fat cap on the other side but by the looks of it, I think the fat cap side is showing in this pic. Just listen to Tom above- all good advice and he will definitely steer (pun) you right.

It's a great piece of meat- A fat cap would be nice but you can navigate that with his advice above.  Just take it slow and I would probably wrap once the bark sets. Or gasp....even the Travis method and then pull it out of the pan and let the bark set the last 2-3 hours. A CAB brisket is a treat- trimmed or not.

I would hoard that point piece and feed the flat to the uniformed.....some host I am huh?

• corey24
    Options
    I haven't taken it out of package but there does look like a fat cap on bottom side.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    corey24 said:
    I haven't taken it out of package but there does look like a fat cap on bottom side.
    post a pic when you have a minute. I think I know what that is but could be wrong.It looks like they shaved off the cap that would have been on the flat if I'm looking at the pic right. That's the fat you want. The other fat on the "bottom" is either hard fat or this kind of slimy/silver skin type deal and both would need to be trimmed off. Hopefully they did that for you since it looks like they took all the good stuff already.

• corey24
    Options
    So, another question. Does CAB just stand for Certified Angus Beef? If so where does that fall on grading scale? Isn't it typically Prime, Choice, or Select?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options

So it's a good piece of meat. But is that a 'grade' all on its on.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Just a different system - there's actually a lot of different beef grading systems.  I kind of equate it to choice. Maybe choice plus.
    Options
    Sweet. Hopefully it will turn out well. Thanks @nolaegghead

• nolaegghead
    Options
    CAB is pretty good stuff.  Consistant.  Yeah, good luck, I think you'll do fine.
    Options
    The CAB thing confuses me as well.  The way I understand it, Angus is a type of cattle.  Certified Angus just means the American Angus Association puts their seal of approval on it.  This is independent of the USDA grading system (choice or prime), but Certified Angus is supposed to be the upper range of choice or prime. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options

Are you really trying to tell me that I've been eating baby cows? =))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    cazzy said:

I could be mistaken but I think what he was saying is that if it was a packer and only 5 lbs it would have to be from a baby cow.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

cazzy said:

I could be mistaken but I think what he was saying is that if it was a packer and only 5 lbs it would have to be from a baby cow.  

Hmm...that makes a lil more sense.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CAB is a brand, not a grade. They select their beef from the upper 2/3 of choice and above. They also choose a specific % of angus DNA and I believe they slaughter steers 30 months and younger if I remember my CAB training class from 8 yrs ago.

I can also say it varies wildly from source to source but it's a good place to start. My local Randall's (Safeway) sells CAB steaks and they are not great. I have gotten some killer brisket flats from them though.