Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef DINO RIBS

Options
Redskull
Redskull Posts: 55
WHAT CUT OF BEEF RIBS IS THE BEST FOR LOW & SLOW?
MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    Options
    All beef ribs lend themselves well to being cooked low and slow. Back ribs are more popular in some areas but I feel this is due to a lower retail price. All beef ribs are excellent in my opinion. But the best are the Dino ribs. This is ribs taken from the short plate of the bovine and left a foot in length or longer. Hence the name dinosaur ribs or Dino if you will. Short ribs and beef short riblets come from the short plate as well. They are just cut shorter than the Dino's . Again all are excellent and lend themselves very well to a long low and slow smoke over smoldering oak embers. You can't go wrong with any of them but if I was forced to chose I would go with the Dino's that were a foot in length or longer. I hope this helps my friend. Now go and enjoy some beef ribs!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Redskull‌
    I just noticed that this was your first post. Let me say welcome aboard my friend. Can't wait to see those beef ribs!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome. Beef ribs rule the world.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I have to find some beef ribs near me with some meat on them. Everything I see is just bone.
    I need a butcher shop.
    Redskull - need some pictures of the cook to hold me over till I can find my own please.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Like others said make sure you get big meaty ribs. I got some from Publix several times and they were horrible I couldn't understand why people even cook them. Then I got some of the big Dino ribs from restaurant depot and they were great.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Redskull‌
    How did the ribs turn out?

Status- Standing by.

• Redskull
    Options
    I plan on a brisket & the DINO ribs this weekend.  last weekend i did 2 large racks of pork spare ribs, using the 3-2-1 method, they turned out wonderful, a toothless person could eat them.  I used a sticky sauce glaze for the last hour, basting every 15 minute with the heat up to 300 degrees.  I like the slightly burnt crutch, along with that melt in your mouth, fall off the bone meat.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Mickey
    Options
    Turbo Beef Ribs on Mini Indirect 350. Pull membrane, Rub-mustard-rub, cherry wood. Used coffee rub. imageimageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Same type cook but on the Large. imageimage

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Big fan of beef ribs-short ribs are easier to find for me than the back ribs.  And I prefer the short to back ribs for the meat and flavor.  But beef ribs are way better than pork ribs for me.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.  Happy Birthday USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    SGH said:
    All beef ribs lend themselves well to being cooked low and slow. Back ribs are more popular in some areas but I feel this is due to a lower retail price. All beef ribs are excellent in my opinion. But the best are the Dino ribs. This is ribs taken from the short plate of the bovine and left a foot in length or longer. Hence the name dinosaur ribs or Dino if you will. Short ribs and beef short riblets come from the short plate as well. They are just cut shorter than the Dino's . Again all are excellent and lend themselves very well to a long low and slow smoke over smoldering oak embers. You can't go wrong with any of them but if I was forced to chose I would go with the Dino's that were a foot in length or longer. I hope this helps my friend. Now go and enjoy some beef ribs!!
    I love beef ribs and have tried both the plate ribs (these have 3 bones) and the short ribs (4 bone).  My understanding from reading beef cut charts is that the plate ribs come from the short plate as you said but the short ribs come from the chuck portion.  Is this not correct?  I have found that both cuts have lots of meat but that the plate ribs seem to be fattier.  The plate ribs are also much more expensive - I get both of these at Restaurant Depot.  If you get these from a butcher, make sure that he doesn't cut them up since I think they cook a lot better when left whole.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Redskull
    Options
    Here are a few pics as of yesterday afternoon.  I rubbed mustard over the brisket & ribs, the dry rub made from, well you can see from the photo.  let sit in the fridge until 9pm.  Had burgers on the BGE last night and let the fire go, after adjusting my heat down to 225 or so.  let the brisket sit for an hour to get to room temp.  used an ale & apple juice concoction for a water pan, put the brisket on with a few cherry and apple chips soaked in water.  got up tho morning and temp still on the spot, 215 deg.  i'll take the brisket off when desired internal temp of 203 is achieved.  I plan o putting the ribs on a 9am using the 3-2-1 cooking method.  i'll post more pics as the morning goes on.  Happy 4t of July Weekend y'all...
  • Redskull
    Options
    Ooops!, woke up Saturday morning to check my brisket temp, 201 deg.  Raised the lid and found this interesting mess.  Burnt ale & apple juice.  The brisket turned out great though.  
  • Redskull
    Options
    Final results for the DINO Beef RIBS, see photos.  Thanks for the help & tips y'all.