Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket - Canada

Options
AD18
AD18 Posts: 209
I think I ruined my gasket on my LBGE today.  Did a high temp burn and now cannot go lower than 250 with both top and bottom vents closed.  Looked on a couple of Toronto Egg dealers and do not see replacement gaskets.  To late to call with long weekend.  Any ideas on what type and where I can snag one without timing issues and hassle of border ordering from US.  Preferably the Nomex one or similar higher temp instead of factory felt.  Thanks.
Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
Cobourg, Ontario

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    @RRP can help, get a Rutland from him, I am sure he will chime in soon
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lots of people have been egging for years with no gasket at all. Sounds like your vents aren't very airtight. Or you just haven't waited long enough. Pretty sure RRP ships Rutlands to the GWN..

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2014
    Options
    BGE makes it's own high heat gasket. I have one on my large  egg and a spare in the garage. Really like the performance. I have used it for a year with at least one pizza cook each week. Actually looks pretty much like new. Holds up great IMO. I always buy two at once, in anticipation of experience like yours. New eggs reportedly ship with the high heat gasket. 
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I had good temp control prior to this morning.  As stated in other posts in regards to pizza I have had a hard time getting the Egg up to higher temps, over 500.  Some had suggested it was fact I did it with placesetter legs up caused air flow issues.  To check I took placesetter out and loaded Egg up with fresh charcoal for a cleaning burn.  Stirred it about with old charcoal and lit it.  Long story short I had well over 700 in about 30 minutes.  That semi confirmed my air flow issues with platesetter.  Closed all the vents and let fire go out.  Came back this afternoon and first thing Egg lid was ever so slightly stuck together.  Did not take much pressure to release.  Noticed a couple of places where what appeared to be parts of top gasket stuck to bottom.  Cleaned them off, but suspect I melted or burnt the gaskets and therefore inability to get lower temps due to holes in gasket.  Did learn the placesetter was causing the air flow issues though:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'm here! Yes I ship to Canada on a regular basis. Give me a couple minutes and I will send you a PM via this forum. OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I got this at Classics Fireplace and Gourmet Grills at 1828 Queen St East, Toronto, 416-698-3473.  You can try your local fireplace stores first.

also got this from Lowes, not sure if it works as well as Rutland but the material looks the same, I think it also comes in 5/8" :

EDit:  ooops, just saw @RPP 's post.  It'll probably be easier to just get it from him.  I'm sure he knows to send it by USPS, not UPS.
    canuckland
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    Options

I got this at Classics Fireplace and Gourmet Grills at 1828 Queen St East, Toronto, 416-698-3473

also got this from Lowes:

That is the correct Rutland and will work for a large egg or smaller, but for an XL you need 108" so 2 kits, but then you will have 4 butt ends and you will throw away 5 feet! As for that other product that is a rope instead of a flat braided gasket and I see it is only rated to 1,000 degrees whereas the Rutland is 2,200 degrees. Also being a rope then as it compresses and expands with each opening and closing the fibers will be wearing against themselves and failure is certain to happen.
  • Canugghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @RPP, thanks, good to know, where were you when I needed gaskets  :D  You're not sending by UPS, right?

edit: just noticed OP's egg is L.
    canuckland
  • RRP
    Options
    @RPP, thanks, good to know, where were you when I needed gaskets  :D  You're not sending by UPS, right?

edit: just noticed OP's egg is L.
    I've been selling them as a service for 12 years now. I mail them via the US Post Office and they go first class international. The postage is why I have to charge $16 for a large to Canada as compared to the $11 I charge for gaskets shipped in the US. Otherwise I would lose money! Also I supply detailed instructions how to apply it properly to get years of use. BTW besides Canada I've shipped to 10 other countries as well.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    I can see why you've won international fame as the go-to expert for gasket  :) and I mean it sincerely. 
    canuckland
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    +1 on RRP's gaskets. Excellent service and quality.
    Sudbury, Ontario