Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon

Options
Has anyone cold smoked salmon on the BGE?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @bill37‌
    I have many times. Do you require assistance or have questions about smoking it? I will be glad to offer what I can if you ask.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    @SGH I understand to cold smoke you have to be exact on your temp. How do you get the egg to keep a 100 degrees and then 110 and then 120?
  • SGH
    Options
    @bill37‌
    There are several tricks that you can use to hold sub 200 temps. First I would recommend getting a amaznsmoker as your smoke generator. It's inexpensive and does a wonderful job smoking. Now for holding temps that low I recommend a few things. First is a metal coffee can with a few charcoal briquettes as your heat source. Not lump but briquettes because they don't burn as hot as lump. Just set the coffee can in your empty egg on the lump grate with just a few briquettes that are already hot and glowing. Sometimes depending on weather I use a cheap electric hot plate. You will have to control the temp by plugging and unplugging the hot plate. Run the hot plate cord out the bottom vent of your egg. This is not a big deal due to how well the egg holds temp. These two methods along with the amaznsmoker are my go to methods for cold smoking on the egg.
    If you need further assistance or have more questions just ask as I have a few more tricks if you need them. The above two methods along with the amaznsmoker work flawless my friend. I hope this helps and good luck.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    @SGH  thank you!  Now I know where to start!
  • SGH
    Options
    @bill37‌
    You are more than welcome. If I can help in any way just ask.

Status- Standing by.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I cold-smoked salmon today after a 36 hour "Charcuterie" cure. It was 93 degrees outside.
    I didn't use my egg so no pix. I have an old Charbroil H2O upright electric smoker which I've gutted and now use as a chamber for the Amaz-N-Smoker. I can lay stuff flat on the grates or hang cooks from the grates with butcher hooks (I did four pork bellies for bacon that way).
    Today's set-up was Amaz-N-Smoker on the bottom, salmon on the grate in the middle and a big bowl of ice (refilled every two hours or so). Seven hours over Alder and peach. It never got over 70 degrees in there and it's now vacuum packed for a rest in the fridge for two or three days. I'm thinking Sunday breakfast with scrambled eggs.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields