Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat cap up or down on a pork butt?

Options
Gonna do a semi-turbo butt today and was curious what the general consensus is regarding fat up or down.

I've done both and was curious how you guys do them.

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I usually do fat cap down. Only reason is if something sticks to the grid when taking it off, its just fat and not yummy bark.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    If you don't use a water pan, I worry about drying the bottom out from the radiant heat from the stone. I don't know if this is a real concern or not, but I'm more concerned with turbo cooks. I've therefor been prone to put the fatcap down to protect from the heat when going turbo.

I really don't think in the BGE this should be a concern.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Makes sense. I'll throw this one on fat cap down. 

A friend of mine said he cooks his butts raised direct. Going to try that as well. So:

No plate setter
    Fat cap down
    300-325...for the semi-turbo. 

We'll see. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I don't know about the direct. You may burn the bottom. I've gone indirect turbo for mine with great success, so I don't mess with it.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never heard of anyone doing a direct butt cook. Especially turbo! I sure wouldn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You will have lots of drippings landing on the fire with a direct cook. Potential for flare ups and scorthed bottom. I've never tried it. Curious...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I'll let you know how it turns out. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 if I were to try this I think I'd go raised. But, frankly I would only go indirect. @Mickey‌ king of turbo...what say you?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    +1 if I were to try this I think I'd go raised. But, frankly I would only go indirect. @Mickey‌ king of turbo...what say you?
    It's raised up. Temp is at 300...looking to let it slowly climb to 325 or so. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Definitely interested in how it turns out. Maybe you'll start a new trend for those who turbo ;-).
    Edit: vanilla dropped part of my post.
    I would just be concerned of renderings flaring up and scorching etc. Good luck to ya Laddie. Will await your finish pics. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Watch out for grease fires- a little worried doing one direct without drip pan? Hope it turns out well
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I'll be sure to give feedback after all is said and done. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Would be interesting to see how a turbo raised direct butt worked. I use indirect at 250ºF grid and have a full spooge pan by the time the butt is ready to pull. I could not imagine all that fat dripping during a cook without somehow adversely affecting the bark or taste of the butt. Open to new ideas - learn something everyday.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Not Bi, but I go both ways and see no difference
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Here it is after 5 hours cooking at 310 degrees pulled at 195 degrees. The bark is outstanding. The bone wiggled when I gave it a slight tug. It's sitting under foil to be served at 5PM.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    The fat on the bottom was really dark which I couldn't care less about but the pork was perfect underneath. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you don't open the lid and you have the vents dialed back so enough air flows through the egg to generate enough heat to keep it at a low temperature, you're not going to get giant flare-ups from dripping fat.  That is the nature of a sealed, controlled cooker like the egg. 
    Options
    If you don't open the lid and you have the vents dialed back so enough air flows through the egg to generate enough heat to keep it at a low temperature, you're not going to get giant flare-ups from dripping fat.  That is the nature of a sealed, controlled cooker like the egg. 
    No flare-ups at all. It seemed content on staying at the 310 mark so I let it stay there. I spritzed it a couple of times with ACV and that was it.