Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

spice grinder

What is the best spice grinder money can buy?
Thanks for the always good help

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 9,781
    Not a clue. I use a mortar and pestle or a dirt cheap old coffee grinder. I haven't read this thru, but Kenji generally knows what he's talking about.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenfromMIKenfromMI Posts: 742
    Okesmokie, I use a coffee grinder I bought about 10 or 12 years ago. At that time consumers reports tested every spice grinder on the market and found the particular coffee grinder that I bought was better than any spice grinder. You just can't use it for both. I have a burr grinder for coffee and a standard grinder for spices.
    Dearborn MI
  • BotchBotch Posts: 4,255
    Carolina Q, your posted article matched what Cook's Illustrated thought.  I bought my Krups years ago and its still running strong.  A tip for cleaning it: throw in a tablespoon or so of dry rice, and run it a bit, that's all I do.  
    I use a marble mortar and pestle for small amounts, but this Krups is my go-to for any larger amounts (I don't drink coffee so I don't use it for that).  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • okesmokieokesmokie Posts: 150
    Will Krups grind pepper corns?
  • KenfromMIKenfromMI Posts: 742
    My Delonghi will grind anything.
    Dearborn MI
  • Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,173
    I use a mr coffee grinder, 1 for coffee and 1 for spices. Never mix the two
    NW IA
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,768
    I LOVE the Cuisinart grinder with a large container. It grinds to a fine powder in seconds.

Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 14,260
    I use magic bullet and works rather well. And makes a mean frozen daiquiri or frozen margarita. B-) For dry spices I hit it for a second and pulse two or three times and its perfect. It also works the same with fresh herbs and spices. I use it to help make homemade rubs. And would do beautifully for coffee rub.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 5,286
    edited May 2014
    my two favourite grinders...
    $4 from CL:

$8 from thrift store:  (heavy CI, you can even roast spices in it before crushing with the 'hammer')
    canuckland
  • legomyeggolegomyeggo Posts: 113
    My best is a really old Krups coffee grinder. Bought a new one but the old one is better.

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,536
    $10 Mr Coffe broke, after 15 years, what a POS. Bought another, they are almost $20 now - it better last more than 15 years (even if I don't). 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,072
    edited May 2014
    I have used 2 of these Krups in the last 25 years and just recently my friend bought a Cuisinart on sale in Wally World for around $10 as the other is getting old but still ticking.