Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom Mates - what do you think?

Options
I just finished these today and installed tonight. They are mahogany to match a custom handle I found online. I am super happy with them and just thought I'd share.
Victoria, MN

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Adrock‌
    Those are very nice my friend. You did a excellent job. Thanks for sharing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    I sealed/finished them with several coats of waterlox and plan to keep a cover over when not in use. Hopefully they hold up.
    Victoria, MN
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options

Very nice!! I was looking at my Large yesterday and thinking the only thing I'm not crazy about are the plastic mate shelves.

Did you use the old ones for a template?

Do the brackets support the new shelves(do they seem to be strong enough)?

Great job!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    They look fantastic! Nice work =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That looks great! Good job!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Adrock
    Options
    I used the brackets from the plastic mates and used the plastic mates as a template. My measuring was not as effect as perfect as I would like but only I will notice the imperfections. I used 1/2" boards and they seem to be plenty strong for resting plates and some small prep work.
    Victoria, MN
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Nice job! 

=D>
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Very nice. 

I've been tempted to do something similar, but increase the size of the mates a couple inches in each direction (other than towards the egg).  I don't cover my egg, so I don't need to worry about the cover fitting.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    That looks really nice.  While I can understand BGE using the plastic mates, it isn't what I'd want on my egg.  I have the wood ones on my XL.  Of course they don't look near as nice as yours.  But I totally abuse them.  They just get darker, and more "mature".  I don't think they'll ever get refinished.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Very nice! 

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Adrock
    Options
    Thanks all. I am sure they won't look this nice for long. I've been using this thing every other day for like two weeks.
    Victoria, MN
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Very nice.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That looks like crap. If that's the best you can. . Lols jk broski. They look awesome. You should sell those.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN