Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the possession limit on chickens??

Options
Terrebandit
Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
I love whole chickens cooked on the egg. Consequently, I've accumulated a back stock in my freezer. How many chickens can one keep and not be considered a hoarder? I think I have 8 whole chickens in there now, plus quite an assortment of parts (legs, breasts, and leg quarters). You know, just in case a whole chicken is not enough. Got two turkeys in there too. Oh my, do I have a poultry hoarding problem or is this normal behavior?
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I tend to buy mine fresh when they're on sale. And then freeze if I get a few. Think the most I've had on hand is maybe 6 or 7. I Spatchcock roughly 2-3 per week. The only thing that sucks is pulling from freezer to refrigerator to dft takes around 3 days to fully dft.
    Yep may need an intervention ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Normal???  Does not apply here!!!  Enjoy!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Tell you what...I won't laugh about your 8 chickens and pieces and parts if you don't laugh about my 740 pounds of lump! It's not hoarding - it's having some on hand, right? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Yes, you have a problem - it is so nice to hear from  someone who truly understands my own problem....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    When the zombies come I've got plenty of ammo & @rrp has the lump to cook em with. :)) Ron you must have a forklift or pallet jack? That's the mothaload of lump. Like a boss!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    LOL @rrp. If I had the room I'd have a pallet of lump on hand also. I've been buying it 200# at a time recently. I don't want to be caught without any. Plus, I supply my sister, neighbor , and coworkers.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I love whole chickens cooked on the egg. Consequently, I've accumulated a back stock in my freezer. How many chickens can one keep and not be considered a hoarder? I think I have 8 whole chickens in there now, plus quite an assortment of parts (legs, breasts, and leg quarters). You know, just in case a whole chicken is not enough. Got two turkeys in there too. Oh my, do I have a poultry hoarding problem or is this normal behavior?

Huh! I have more ducks than you do chickens and there is nothing wrong with me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Terrebandit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Tell you what...I won't laugh about your 8 chickens and pieces and parts if you don't laugh about my 740 pounds of lump! It's not hoarding - it's having some on hand, right? LOL

you got a deal! :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I'm down to 7 chickens now. Isn't this one of the best looking birds you've seen? This one came out great. imageimage
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    That does look good. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:

you got a deal! :)
    Thanks, brother! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    That does look good. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

sure. Just spatchcock the chicken and dry it off real good with paper towels. This step is important. Then, flip the bird over so it's underside is exposed. Again, make sure the underside dry by booting with paper towels. Season the underside with the following seasonings: Toni chacheres original creole seasoning (be generous), kosher salt, and course ground black pepper. Flip the bird over and dry off the skin again with paper towel. Get a small bowl of TC and push some of it in between the skin and the meat with your fingers making sure not to break the skin. Do both thighs and breasts. Then apply the same seasonings as above on the top surface of the skin, making sure you get some under the wings and in all the crevices. Get your egg up to a stable 350 with platesetter legs up, a foiled drip pan, and grate on top of all that. Cook the bird indirect, breast side up, until the breast temp is 160 deep in the center of the breast. Use a temp probe to monitor this temp while cooking because I think it's very important not to open/close the egg while cooking a chicken. This helps assure a crisp skin. Pull the chicken when this temp is reached. Put it in a pan, tent it with foil, and let it sit for 15 minutes. I sometimes leave the temp probe in it to monitor temps while it rests. The chicken will actually increase in temperature about 5 degrees during the resting phase. This kind of seasoning produces a spicy Cajun taste which I enjoy. The skin is out of this world.
    Dave - Austin, TX