Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi -Que Grate for 24 inch Kamado's

Options
There's good news for XL Egg and Big Joe owners from Hi-Que. Hi-Que is releasing a high temp stainless grate for 24 inch Kamado owners looking for a alternative to the stock CI grates. This is something people have been asking for from Hi-Que for a while. This should be exciting for anyone who's been waiting for a Hi-Que grate for their XL Egg. It should up on their website soon. I believe there's a free delivery (US only) special for pre-orders submitted to Hi-Que before the end of the weekend.
2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have heard numerous times the XL BGE doesn't need more airflow through the fire grate.  (the factory grate, unlike the med and lg, is super adequate)  That said, I don't have an XL, but I've heard it so much I got a tattoo to that effect on my tramp-stamp region.  Please tell us more!  

...mmm...actually, I would like to smelt aluminum for some castings.  MORE INFO!!!

(please forgive, i haz drink on)
    Options
    @TravisStrick - Travis - you have air flow problems? With your egg, not you personally. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    i think my XL is fine with air flow. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    No issues here with my XL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have had my XL go out twice on low and slow cooks with the CI grate, but most times it works fine. I have put in the Weber grates as others have suggested and had no further issues. I was trying to maintain 250° which may have been a bit marginal without a controller.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    It there as option if people need it. I''ll likey end up getting them for my hot and fast cooks. I never have issues with low and slows on the CI grates. I'm not a patient person so I'm looking forward to being able to hit 1000F in no time flat.

Some lump charcoals need more air to hit high temps. I find Fogo and Royal Oak will benefit from extra air flow. A lot of issues with those lumps is the high Ash production.

Do need more air flow vs the CI grate. No. It's nice to have anyway.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring