Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg BLOWBACK

Options
So I just realized today that my dome thermometer on my medium is off. Last night I put a butt on and decided not to use my maverick and just set it and forget it. I thought everything was going great until I checked in with my wife this morning and the Egg was at 90*. Luckily I live real close to work (about 1.5 miles) and rushed home. When I opened the Egg the lump was completely burned off. I have gone 20+ hours on a single load before and this one was only about 12 hours in. I took the butt off and wrapped it in foil. I added more lump and started it up again. At this point I got out the maverick and set it up as well. I checked both probes on the maverick and they are pretty much right on. As I was letting the lump fire up the Maverick was going up in temp but the dome would not go over 120*. The maverick hit 215* at the grate and I put the daisy wheel on and shut the bottom vent to hit 250*. Here is where the blowback happened. Roughly 10-15 seconds after I closed the vents down I heard a loud gush of air and smoke came billowing out like a small explosion. I am not afraid to say I jumped back about 5 feet haha. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? The temp shot up to about 246* immediately then slowly started to fall back down. Before I left to go back to work the maverick was reading 227* at the grid. Sorry for the long post but I have never had that happen to me. I am also going to check my dome thermometer today after the cook is done to see how off it is. 

I think the egg was running a lot hotter than I thought and that is why it burned through the lump so fast. Good news is the Butt still looked great, not burn marks and still very juicy! 
:)
Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Why kind of lump?
    How long was the egg down
    Meat temp when the egg crashed?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Are you confident in the calibration of your thermos??  Temp is the one thing we have to try and understand/manage a cook.  Garbage in=garbage out!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @henapple The meat temp was at 171* when I got home (9:00am), it was at 164* when I left for work at 6:30am
    The egg was not down for long at all, when I got home it was still pretty warm when I opened it up.
    The lump I was using is made by forest lumps (haven't had an issue with it except it sparks a lot when firing up)

@lousubcap I put the probes in an ice bath while I was home and one read 33 and the other 35. I have been using them quite a bit and have never had an issue with them. I didn't have time to boil water but if its accurate on the low side can it be off that much on the high end?
    Pure Michigan
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Maybe you had an aerosol can in your lump.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @shadowcaster-what about your dome thermo?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    @yzzi :)
    Pure Michigan
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    The dome thermo I have not checed yet. I will later today when I get off work. I was more worried about getting the egg going again and getting the butt back on.
    Pure Michigan
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That would probably be a record for weirdest item in lump. That would beat out the ball bearing I found a few months back.
    Dunedin, FL
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    It was probably a rock stuck in the middle of your lump.  It happens, not to me yet.  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've had that happen several times. Spits fire out the draft door and gasps like it's taking its final breath. usually it's really hot and being choked down but it's pretty cool. You can see it breathe (not a good time to throw the dome open if you are in to eyebrows and stuff like that).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    @Cen-Tex that is exactly what happened. I knew better than to try and open it after that  :))
    Pure Michigan
  • jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options
    Most likely the grate was choked off of air and due to ash and once it found enough air supply it ignited the gases. The poof blows out the ash in the grate and all will be well.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    After a sixteen hour cook.. OO
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Show off. Yea I've never had a problem before, hopefully it's the last time
    Pure Michigan
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Yea but he was running at 60*F... :)