Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another 17 hour Boston Butt

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I know there are a lot of turbo butt fans out there, it just isn't my preferred method. The fat doesn't get rendered out enough for my taste. Having said that, 17-18 hours seems long to me. Here is the cook: 2, 5.5 lbs bone-in boston butts. slathered in mustard and one rubbed with John Henry Butt Rub and the other with Dizzy Dust. Indirect set-up with plate setter, with cherry wood for smoke. Use Rockwood lump. Stablizied dome temp at 250 and put butts on at 8:00 p.m. Sat night. Woke up at 7:00 with the dome temp at 200. Made a coupe of adjustments and was back at 250 in no time. Stayed there the rest of the cook, although did creep up to 300 for a little while. I cooked the butts until an internal temp of 205 and for the most part the thermopen went in like butter. Took one butt off at 17 hours and the other at 17.5 hours. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't mind the long cook. However this is about 3+ hours per pound which seems high compared to most other posts on the forum. I will double check my dome temp gauge, but I checked it not long ago. Any suggestions on how to get closer to 2 hours a pound would be welcome.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments