Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Another 17 hour Boston Butt

tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,736
I know there are a lot of turbo butt fans out there, it just isn't my preferred method. The fat doesn't get rendered out enough for my taste. Having said that, 17-18 hours seems long to me. Here is the cook: 2, 5.5 lbs bone-in boston butts. slathered in mustard and one rubbed with John Henry Butt Rub and the other with Dizzy Dust. Indirect set-up with plate setter, with cherry wood for smoke. Use Rockwood lump. Stablizied dome temp at 250 and put butts on at 8:00 p.m. Sat night. Woke up at 7:00 with the dome temp at 200. Made a coupe of adjustments and was back at 250 in no time. Stayed there the rest of the cook, although did creep up to 300 for a little while. I cooked the butts until an internal temp of 205 and for the most part the thermopen went in like butter. Took one butt off at 17 hours and the other at 17.5 hours. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't mind the long cook. However this is about 3+ hours per pound which seems high compared to most other posts on the forum. I will double check my dome temp gauge, but I checked it not long ago. Any suggestions on how to get closer to 2 hours a pound would be welcome.
LBGE, Marietta, GA
image.jpg 2.7M
image.jpg 2.2M
·

Comments

• corey24corey24 Posts: 317
    Dome temps usually higher then grate.....maybe that's part of the long time.  Probably would want dome around 275ish for a 250 grate.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·
  • based on pictures you have egg temp issuess
    ·
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 534
    Send me some of the pork and I'll diagnose it from there...
    NW IOWA
    ·