Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker WiFi Newbee

Options
Well I broke down and bough a Stoker WiFi after having my work schedule changed yet again. I teach CCH classes on Saturdays, and serve pulled pork for lunch so when I have to work on Friday it makes cooking them a little hard. Well after many late nights with no luck I gave up on the WiFi working with my routers (one cable modem and one wireless router) so I could access it away from the house. I am able to access it from inside my network but not from anywhere else. I have a buddy who owns a computer repair shop so I will have him over for dinner one night and he can own his keep. I tried the over the phone walk through but each time one or the other router did not play well with the others. 

Now on to the question for everyone. Do you start your grill and get it close to temp before using the Stoker or do you use it from the start? I used it while lighting mine and it over shot by 50-60 degrees. I had it set at 250 and it went way way over. Second part of the question is do you use the Stokerlog program for the computer or do you use the standard web interface?  

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I have had mine for 3 years. For low / slow cooks, I lite the egg, close the lid and setup the stoker and let it do its thing. I slide the daisy wheel at 1/4" open. Wheel closed. Then rotate wheel to trim.I have never had it overshoot the temp. 

Most times I set it for 235-250. Just be careful not to light to much lump to start with. I will light about a 2" circle in the center.

The stokerlog software will learn the rate of temp rise over time and anticipate the blower off point as not to over shoot the temp.

And with the twitter interface I never had the need to login outside of my network. I don't leave the house if the egg is going. To many stories of bad things happening when left alone.

Stokerlog is what I use. I record and save all of my cooks. Gives me the option to go back and review the setup, meat and cook results on each.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

** some ISPs block inbound port 80, or perhaps your router has a webserver that won't allow incoming port 80 to connect to the stoker.

If you can run the stoker on another port, you may have more luck forwarding it through your router.

NOLA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @hotch what software or Web page do you use for Twitter for authorizations??
    @mountiandewbass Have you been able to use twitter notifications from the Stoker lately? I had to switch over to text. Seems Twitter no longer allows for 3rd party API authorizations.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I just set it up, light a small area in the middle and let the Stoker go. It settles in nicely. You remote access issue is puzzling though. You should just port forward to your Stoker IP then just put your router WAN IP in your browser and you are up and running. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat