Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question with Boston butt cooked today to take to work tomorrow.

Options
As the title indicates, I cooked a butt today for my co-workers.  They hosted a baby shower for my wife and I so I decided to cook a butt for them to eat on tomorrow with some Lexington style sauce and dinner rolls/Hawaiian rolls.  

I have the butt FTM (foil, towel, microwave) right now and it is at the hour mark being kept that way.  My question is, should I pull now and place in gallon bag for tomorrow and pour a little sauce over that to keep it from getting to dry?  

I got a bunch of foil pans for drip pans at Sam's the other day, I could pull and place in there, but I have no way access to an oven.  Thought gallon Ziplock bags would possibly work better, though I am not sure.  We do have a microwave to warm things.   

Anyone else do anything similar or have a better suggestion?  I want to make sure this butt is not dry.  These people hear me talking highly of the BGE and I want to deliver!  
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @tarheelmatt
    Sir I hate to serve warmed up pork. But here is a trick that has worked well for me when I had to serve it. Mix 2 cups cider vinegar and i cup water. Heat the solution to a simmer. Pour over shredded pork. Again I try not to serve warmed up pork but this is the method I use when I have no other choice. Hope this helps. Maybe others will offer you a different method. Good luck my friend.
    P.S This method helps put moister back into over cooked meat as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dgroce10
    dgroce10 Posts: 17
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have reheated boston butt in a crock pot with some success. I poured two cups of Apple Cider over the pork and heated on the slow cooker for a few hours on low, stirring occassionally.
    Daniel
    Smyrna, GA | LBGE owner since Jan. 2014
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @SGH & @dgroce10 Thank you!  @SGH, I hate to re-heat too.  

I pulled and placed in a gallon bag.  It was a 9.5lb butt.  I think I will take some cider vinegar and water like you guys indicated and pour over that mixture.  Shake the bag well before I tell folks to come and get it.  

Even when I have leftovers I let people try it they say it is better than anything they have eaten!  That gives me some hope.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I put a vinegar based sauce on mine as soon as I pull it. 

Every year I take about 8 lbs to the beach for the first night - it is in a big ziploc bag and we heat on the stove or in a crockpot.  It is not the same as fresh, but is very good.  I usually offer a ketchup based sauce on the side.   For left-overs I have warmed on the stove and (horrors) in the microwave.     

I say your co workers will really enjoy it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    It's always easier to pull when it it hot so pull it tonight. If you have access to an oven tomorrow, Leave the pulled pork in your foil pans. Leave then covered with foil Add a small amount of water to   them to generate steam. Im guessing 350 for approx 30 minutes depending on size.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options

It is too late to cook it tonight and have it fresh for tomorrow. Next time, do that! A butt is very forgiving and can set for several hours wrapped in foil, towels and a cooler.

Why not leave the butt whole tonight. Put it in your oven tomorrow AM and heat back up to 180* (double wrapped in foil and with some liquid of your choice inside). You can wrap it in a towel, in a cooler and take it to work. The other option is to have your wife do the same and bring it up at lunch and do a fresh pull for everyone. Makes the most sense to me than risk it being dried out.

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have cooked for many big events...I always pull when hot and zip loc it with some applejuice...then heat in a crockpot with more apple juice when serving... I don't cook em turbo yet so being ready right on time isn't very predictable for me.

I read here recently that some use a can of coke when reheating and while I plan to give that a go soon, I haven't done it myself yet.

I'm sure it will be great.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Update:  Folks jumped on this like a hobo on a hot pocket! 

I pulled last night after about 1.5 hr FTC (actually microwave).  Placed in a gallon bag.  Took 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, and my sauce I made (Lexington style) and poured over the meat.  Refriedgerated overnight.  Took it to work, and back into the fridge.  Then, warmed in microwave in Tupperware bowl and served with dinner rolls.  Everyone is happy. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Glad it worked out brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.