Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp differences

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Doing a turbo butt before the snow hits.  Calibrated dome temp reads 550.  Calibrated Maverick grid temp reads 380.  Not sure whats going on, Bottom vent only open a crack.  Might have to get the daisy wheel top out.  This cook may be more turbo than planned.  Cooler standing by. 

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Now the dome temp reads 600.  Grid reads 350. Daisy wheel on and opened just a bit.  Going to trust the Mav based on vent settings and past experience.
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    I would think the probe would have returned an error if the dome temp at 600.  The limit for the probe is 500 if I remember right. 

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would guess your dome thermo is off even if it has been calibrated.   Take out the dome thermo then stick the thermapen in the hole to see what it is actually reading.  If it makes sense, then just trust the mav.   Note it takes about 30-45 seconds for the thermapen to come up to temp when measuring air temp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What's your set-up, AR, setter? 
    Either the Mav probe is really close to the meat or the dome thermo is catching a hot spot, assuming they are both working. If the lump is really burning near the front of the egg, most of the heat can go right over the dome thermo, if you have a setter with the legs up at the 8:00, 12:00 and 4:00 o'clock positions.
    Maybe your dome thermo will calibrate at 200º, but no so much at higher temps?
    Come to think about it, you are an expert - you don't need no stinking thermos!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Set up is PS legs up, with a drip pan raised. grid then meat.  Mav probe about an inch and a half from the meat.  Dome now at 450. Mav grid stable at 325.  Going to ignore the dome temp and trust the force.  IT of the pork at 130,  Mav temp confirmed with thermapen.  I may need to replace my dome temp.  Smells fantastic, no matter what the temp.  Going to just let her cook and FTC when ready. 
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have 2 butts doing the same cook right now and the same thing going on with temp.  Calibrated dome temp says 400, the maverick probe (also calibrated) says 300.  PS Legs up with a drip pan, meat right on the grid, pit probe is about 2" away.  My drip pan comes right up to the grate which I think is why there is such a difference - I have grown used to seeing it.  Meat will be done when it is done, though I need to head out at 5:00, need to have it off and FTC before then.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    IT 205 - bone loose as can be.  Into foil and the cooler.  Snow starting to fall.  Gonna be a great dinner.