Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Can you deglaze a cast iron skillet (non-enameled) for a pan sauces?

Options
I have read mixed things about whether or not you should use non-enameled cast iron to deglaze and make a pan sauce.  However, I have seen many recipes that do just that.  I've read that you shouldn't use acidic liquids such as red wine in CI, but again seen conflicting recipes that do just that. 

What say you eggheads?  Can you deglaze CI?  I am interesting in trying something like Steak Au Poivre and wondering if I can do this in CI.  I'm pretty sure I tried to deglaze once in my CI to make a mushroom/wine sauce and I wasn't crazy about the results.  I wasn't exactly fond of all the little burned pieces floating around in my sauce.  (see what I did there?)

Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    yes you can deglaze and make gravey and sauce, i even heat the pan up and hit it with a little watter to lift of the stuck stuff for cleaning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yes, I'm not afraid to use wine but stock works fine as long as the browned bit's aren't scorched

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RiverRatSkier
    RiverRatSkier Posts: 130
    edited February 2014
    Options

You do not need to avoid acids entirely, but do minimize them and do not let them stay in for an extended period (don't store tomato sauce in the fridge in your CI dutch oven).

Deglazing is fine.  Also works great for cleaning after cooking.  While the pan is still hot, pour in a bit of water and swirl.  Try not to do this when the pan is scorching hot, as it could start to warp.

Also, cook plenty of bacon in your cast iron. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks guys!  So, should I perhaps dial back the heat a touch when searing if I plan to use the same pan for a sauce?  Perhaps once the oil starts smoking dial it back just a touch so I don't end up with scorched fond?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Or use a heavy bottomed stainless pan if you have one. I think its the heat retention of the CI that burns the bits post sear. Even a big pot or a rondeau will work.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ShadowNick
    Options
    I've used cast iron many times for an au poivre sauce, however, i don't go for an extremely high temp sear when I do that.  You want browned bits, but not carbonized chunks.  I pull the pan from heat, deglaze with some bourbon, light it and burn the alcohol off, then mix in the cream and peppercorns and return to heat to make the sauce.  After you are done with the pan, just scrape it as clean as you can with a silicone scraper, then use a bit of oil, a healthy amount of sea salt and a paper towl to scour the rest of the pan clean without damaging the seasoning.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    As long as your CI is well-seasoned it will be fine. Poor seasoning can degrade quickly in the presence of acids like tomatoes, citrus, or wine. What you never want to do is let acidic food sit in a CI pan(letting chili rest overnight in a DO or leaving a tomato sauce in the pan for a few hours waiting to be washed). That will strip any seasoning. The important thing is to get it cleaned quickly afterwards.

Like LS said, SS works best for this, along with enamels surfaces. This also lets you see the fond, which is harder on a dark pan like CI.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Or use a heavy bottomed stainless pan if you have one. I think its the heat retention of the CI that burns the bits post sear. Even a big pot or a rondeau will work.
    I use a Lagostina SS skillet, the old set before SWMBO bought the new Paderno set we didn't really need. Much better results with SS than my CI, never knew if it was the CI or the incompetent cook using them. 
    Since getting the egg, CI sees most of its duty for low and slows and deep dish pizza. I do use a CI pan for a reverse sear, but seldom make a sauce in the CI pan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I use a Lagostina SS skillet, the old set before SWMBO bought the new Paderno set we didn't really need. Much better results with SS than my CI, never knew if it was the CI or the incompetent cook using them. 
    Since getting the egg, CI sees most of its duty for low and slows and deep dish pizza. I do use a CI pan for a reverse sear, but seldom make a sauce in the CI pan. 
    Is that Italian Paderno or Canadian Paderno? Is that an African swallow or a European swallow?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Is that Italian Paderno or Canadian Paderno? Is that an African swallow or a European swallow?
    You sir, win the internets today.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Nice! 

Thanks again all.  I actually have a pretty thick SS pan.  It is just cheapo Sam's club SS pan from about 14 years ago, but it has a pretty thick bottom so I would imagine it might sear pretty well.