Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub - questions for chili experts

Options
We cannot find any packages of Ancho Chili Powder larger than 1/2 oz. in this area.  It works well for making a small batch but is a bit expensive to buy in that quantity.  I bought a 1lb. package of dried Ancho peppers at the local Mercado today.  We plan on grinding them to powder for the coffee rub.  Do the seeds need to be removed or are the peppers ground whole minus the stems.  I can no longer tolerate overly hot foods due to reflux so need some advice on this.  Perhaps the Texans can help an Iowan out.  Thanks.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I had a hard time also finding ancho chili powder so I stem and seed the peppers, roast them in a dry skillet until the are very aromatic and then whirl them to a powder in the food processor. The peppers aren't very hot so just add to your liking. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

When I grind dried or smoked and dried chilies, usually jalapenos for chipotle, I leave the seed in but remove the stems.  The seeds do have some heat so perhaps you might remove them.  USE FOOD GLOVE! the burn will get you attention if not careful and keep away from your eyes.  I use a Krups coffee grinder for all my spice grind.  Internet 10-15 bucks.  Many different red chili powders will work for the coffee blend.

e

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Send me a note: mjrawls (at) me.com Will be glad to mail you what you want. I always buy bulk. The small stuff is big $$$.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Can you get poblano peppers where you are?  They are very mild.  Ancho is just dried poblano's. 
    Also, if you ever need chipotle peppers they are just smoked jalapeno's.
    For what its worth.... 
    Chester, MD
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Send me a note: mjrawls (at) me.com Will be glad to mail you what you want. I always buy bulk. The small stuff is big $$$.
    @Mickey Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate the gesture.  I had forgotten about Penzey's Spices until I was reading another thread where they were mentioned.  I will be getting a pound from them.  Again many thanks. You and others are why this forum is such a great place.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    You will be happy with the stuff from Penzey's. Only way to buy ancho. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!