Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homage to cazzy's wings

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I shamelessly "borrowed" @cazzy's wings recipe because it sounded so damn good. I tweaked his recipe just a bit - added garlic powder, jalapeno powder, doubled the crushed red pepper, and a splash of fish sauce. Marinated overnight. Egged at about 350ish, raised indirect, over a water pan. Basted during the cook per his directions. Moved them out to the periphery of the grid at the end to get a little char on the wings. 

Bought an induction stove from Costco to add to the outdoor arsenal. It worked very well. While I started the wings, I boiled the marinade, and basted at 10, 15, 20, and 25 mins. The marinade reduced into a nice dipping sauce as the cook progressed. 

Once the wings were done, I tossed them with some Sriracha to kick them up a notch. Plated shot.

So what would I do differently next time? I would make a whole lot more of them!! These suckers went quick! Nice sweet heat to them, and  will definitely be repeated. 

Thanks, cazzy!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome cali! I like the changes you made to get more heat! Nice plated shot!

Great job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nice. Tried the garlic, but seemed to change what was a very unique sauce. Simple ginger and soy. 
    Have been a fan for some time and the sauce is really nice when reduced. The heat is easy to get and keep it simple if you let the marinade sit in the firdge for at least two or three days, then marinate the wings overnight. Make it a three or four day process and it has lots of heat - also make sure your red pepper flakes are fresh, not the big jar for $5 kind. 
    This is also great on Asian style single cut ribs. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    That plated shot looks great.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Beautiful plate o' wings. You done good. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Thanks, folks!

@cazzy - it was hard to screw these up with your recipe. Real easy to follow. 

@Skiddymarker - I could leave the garlic out and probably not miss it. The jalapeno powder added a "sharp" heat to complement the "warm" heat of the red chili flakes, so next time i might try fresh Thai green chiles.

Impatience got the better of me, and I couldnt wait the 2-3 days to let the marinade steep before adding the wings to it. I'll have to plan ahead and try that next time :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice. Tried the garlic, but seemed to change what was a very unique sauce. Simple ginger and soy. 
    Have been a fan for some time and the sauce is really nice when reduced. The heat is easy to get and keep it simple if you let the marinade sit in the firdge for at least two or three days, then marinate the wings overnight. Make it a three or four day process and it has lots of heat - also make sure your red pepper flakes are fresh, not the big jar for $5 kind. 
    This is also great on Asian style single cut ribs. 

Skiddy, I'm thinking about using his marinade on some pork belly similar to Char Siu. Maybe dust it with Five Spice powder.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - think you are onto something there. SWMBO is not a fan of five spice, prolly why Cazzy's sauce is such a hit at our house. I have used Cazzy's sauce with strip cut (lengthwise and then skewered) pork loin and tenderloin, marinated and mopped - kinda satay/souvlaki style. Never tried it on the belly or shoulder cuts. On the to do list. 
    Goes without saying, also very good on chicken drum sticks. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm sick of hearing about @Cazzy. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm sick of hearing about @Cazzy. ..
    Me too!!  I heard that guy pulled out of the Salado Eggfest!  What a Chump!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    D bag.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple, you and Mickey sure are d-bags. I wish Cazzy was a real person so I could give him props in Salado. You even had the gall to sign him up as an attendee.